Wood Fired Cooking Resources for Your Brick Oven
Wood fired cooking takes us back to a simpler and more primitive time. Fire has been a friend and tool for millennia. Forno Bravo brick ovens combine this classic form of cooking with modern advances in insulation and refractory technology to produce sophisticated ovens for a new generation. They are fast heating to high temperatures for incredible pizza, but also able to release that heat slowly and steadily for hours afterward to give you a chance to try many other techniques and creations.
Learning to work your fire, oven, tools, and recipes to achieve the best results under new conditions can involve a bit of a learning curve. Explore the sections below for tips from the community, our master chefs, staff, and other professionals on a variety of cooking and baking topics. Strengthened with your new knowledge and skills, you’ll be the hot spot and hero of your neighborhood in no time at all — serving delicious pizza, bread, and many other dishes to rave reviews from your family and friends! Let’s get cooking!
Cooking Fundamentals for Brick Ovens
Brick Oven Cooking Techniques
Baking, grilling, roasting, or warming — these ovens do it all! But how? And what temps? Read on to expand your skills beyond just pizza making to make full use of your wood fired oven for flexible cooking.
Using Pizza Peels and Other Tools
Pro-level homemade pizza needs pro-tools to achieve great results. Pizza peels are one of those purpose-designed, specialty tools that do just that. Aluminum or wood, short handled or long, explore the different styles of peels and how to work your dough like a true pizzaiolo!
Community Cookbook and Wood Fired Recipes
The Community Cookbook is packed with over 200 delicious recipes from our professional Chef’s Panel and community contributors that are tested and perfected for use in wood or gas fired brick ovens. In this section, you can also access our many eBooks full of excellent wood fired recipes and tips.
More Favorite Cooking Resources
- Learn more about Vera Pizza Napoletana, its history, official rules, and how to make it;
- Try out our popular Pizza Sequence Recipe as we walk you through great pizza step by step;
- Go deeper into the whys and hows of pizza with our free Wood Fired Pizza eBook;
- Visit Pizza Quest as to learn from the masters as Peter Reinhart interviews great pizza makers and shares their stories.
- And don’t forget to visit our Community Cookbook for delicious pizza recipes.
Baking Bread in a Brick Oven
- Learn how to make several styles of Hearth Bread in your brick oven in this baking sequence including Whole Wheat, Baguette, Ciabatta, Pane Pugliese, and more!
- Check out this second collection at Forno Bravo’s Bread Central covering more techniques, flatbread, and hearth bread variations!
- Tips for creating Steam in a Brick Oven to produce a superior crust;
- Download more details and baking ideas in Forno Bravo’s free Wood Fired Bread eBook.
Wood and Fire Management
- A guide to Choosing the Right Wood for efficient, flavorful cooking;
- Average Wood Consumption for your Wood Fired Pizza Oven;
- How to Start and Maintain the Fire in your oven;
- Oven Cleaning and Ash Disposal recommendations;
- Grilling in a Wood Fired Oven — Cooking with coals and a Tuscan Grill.
Ingredients and Fun Food Facts
This section takes you deeper into the production and nuances of the many flavors and ingredients used to take your pizza to the next level! Enjoy photo journals and informative articles on all of your favorite foods.
- Flour: Caputo Flour, Tipo 00 Flour, Gluten-Free Flour, Windmill Flour (photo journal)
- Understanding Yeast (coming soon)
- Tomatoes: San Marzano Tomatoes & Bianco DiNapoli Tomatoes
- Toppings: Mozzarella di Bufala (overview & photo journal,) Provola Cheese, Olive Oil (photo journal,) Balsamic Vinegar di Modena, & Basil
Stainless Steel Oven Cooking
- Bella Wood Fired Pizza Oven Cooking Techniques — How Steel Oven cooking differs from Brick Oven cooking
- Bella Wood Fired Oven Recipes — Sample recipes from Kissed by Fire by Brigit Binns
- Kissed by Fire: Wood Fired Recipes from Wine Country eBook by Brigit Binns
Cooking with Pizza Stones
- Introduction to Forno Bravo’s Commercial-grade Pizza Stones
- Making Pizza on a Home Pizza Stone — Recipe adaptations and tips
- Pizza Stone Pizza eBook
- Making Bread on a Home Pizza Stone (including articles on Overview, Dough Recipe Sequence for Ciabatta Bread, and Creating Steam in a Conventional Oven)
Tech Talk - Brick Oven Science
- Pizza Ovens – An overview of the history, uses, and styles of brick ovens
- Brick Oven Historical Development and the Original Italian Pompeii Oven
- Thermal Mass Primer
- Insulation 101
- What’s in Forno Bravo’s Engineered Refractory Material
- Oven Curing
- Gas Burner Support – Overview (Burner FAQ’s coming soon)
Learning & Support
Pizza Quest FB Expo
Forno Bravo’s YouTube channel is a great visual resource for information and demonstrations on how to cook with your wood and gas fired ovens. Other videos include maintenance and recipe videos for pizza oven enthusiasts.
Inspiring the world with DIY pizza ovens, Forno Bravo’s free online Forum has over 26,000 registered users. Sharing DIY pizza oven installations worldwide, a fantastic resource for the do-it-yourselfer.
Search here to find information, reference materials, and detailed articles on common questions and topics – from installation to product support and warranties.