Tomato, Basil, and Goat Cheese TapasDec 19, 2011Posted by Forno BravoPrint
You can prepare the tomato base ahead of time, add it to a dish with a slice of goat cheese in the middle and grill it in your wood oven until the cheese is melted/toasted. Serve on toast points.
Tomato, Basil, and Goat Cheese Tapas
- 6 +/- tomatoes peeled, diced, Roma work nicely
- 1/2 onion chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 2 tsp herbs de Provence
- 1/4 cup basil slivered
- salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Sauté the sauce to reduce the liquid and thicken it; about 10 minutes. You can make a lot of sauce ahead of time; it will keep fine in the refrigerator for another tapa.
- Prepare toast points by slicing a baguette and toasting the slices. Butter with garlic butter (ali oli). These are served with the dish after roasting.
- Place a hot layer of the tomato basil mixture in a small low-sided terracotta dish (6’) and place a slice of goat cheese in the middle. The sauce and the cheese should be about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place in your wood oven under a nice flame until the goat cheese is golden brown and bubbly. Sprinkle with some fresh slivered basil.
- Spoon onto the toast points and serve. Disappears quickly!