Stella’s Sunday ChickenFeb 14, 2018Posted by Vito RomaniPrint
Sunday afternoons are the perfect time to pop a chicken and some vegetables in the oven and let them roast for a delicious “set and forget” meal. The subtle smoke and moist heat of a wood fired oven infuse into the meat, keeping the chicken juicy and bringing together the flavors of this classic dish. Chef Vito Romani gives us a flexible recipe that can be easily adapted to ingredients you have on hand for authentic, Italian-style cooking.
Stella's Sunday Chicken
- whole chicken
- onion - quartered
- Red potatoes - sliced into rounds
- Yukon gold potatoes - sliced into rounds
- carrots - sliced into rounds
- Italian Parsley - chopped
- garlic cloves - thinly sliced
- black olives
- Green olives (with pits)
- lemon - juiced
Herbs and Spices
- fresh oregano
- coarsely ground black pepper
- Poultry Seasoning
- Dash Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- extra virgin olive oil (EVO)
- Build a fire in the oven and let it burn down to coals - Approximately 400 degrees F.
- Place chicken, surrounded by vegetables, in an oven-proof or terracotta pan.
- Rub chicken with a paste of salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, cayenne, herbs, and a little EVO.
- Sprinkle vegetables with the same seasonings and more EVO.
- Squeeze lemon on chicken and vegetables.
- Place pan in the oven; close door.
- Bake until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. (Approximately 45 minutes - 1 hour)
- Remove; let chicken rest for a few minutes, slice, serve, and enjoy!