Spicy and Smokey Sausage PizzaAug 27, 2020Posted by guestchefPrint
Guest chef, Gerry Speirs of FoodnessGracious.com is the proud owner of a tiled Napolino wood fired oven. He loves coming up with interesting pizza topping combinations like this Spicy and Smokey Sausage Pizza. It uses two kinds of sausage for a blend of flavors that are a step up from a classic meat pizza.
One key ingredient is Calabrese Sausage. It is a dry-smoked, pork sausage from the Southern Italian region of Calabria, which is known for its spicy and robust cuisine. This sausage (or salami) is seasoned with hot red peppers, garlic, and other spices. It’s often found on a charcuterie tray or antipasto plate, but when paired with a second, smokey sausage and some fresh mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce, it makes a fabulous pizza!
Spicy and Smokey Sausage Pizza
- 1 12 oz dough ball
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 6 Slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 6 oz Smoked Sausage - Sliced
- 1 4 oz Spicy Calabrese Sauasage - Sliced
- black pepper - freshly ground
- Roll or stretch the dough out to your preferred size, around 8-10 inches wide.
- Spread the sauce over the surface.
- Place the mozzarella slices on top of the sauce.
- Add the smokey sausage slices, and then the Calabrese slices.
- Bake in your pizza oven for about 3-4 minutes making sure to turn the pizza often and cook evenly.
- Let the pizza cool for 2-3 minutes before seasoning with some black pepper and slicing.