Pizza Oven Pulled PorkJun 28, 2011Posted by guestchefPrint
Pizza Oven Pulled Pork
- 3-4 lbs pork shoulder not the hammy rear end, thawed
- 1 c kosher salt
- 3/4 c dark brown sugar or molasses or sorghum
- bay leaves
- 1/4 onion
- garlic smashed
- hot peppers
- 4 c water/beer
- Make Brine by adding salt, brown sugar, bay leaves, onion, garlic, hot peppers, cumin, basil, oregano, the water or beer (heat to boiling and then let cool).
- Let the meat swim in the brine overnight in the fridge
- Make Pig Rub with salt, brown sugar, ground coffee, zest of orange (minced), 1 chipotle-ground, 1 ancho-ground, 1 guajillo-ground, cumin, 1/4 c cracked peppers corns, oregano. Mix together.
- Pull pig from brine pool, quick rinse and pat dry – place in aluminum (steamer table) tray and apply rub all over, let pig rest in cool area and crank up pizza oven to pizza making temp, make pizzas, entertain friends
- After pizza fest (oven around 400F), push coals to back, add smoking wood if you like – allow wood to begin to smoke, make pup tent for pig in tray, add juice of zestless orange and a beer – put your pig in about the middle oven.
- Close the oven with your insulated door – not your thin, bread-making oven door
- Walk away, go to bed.
- 8hr later, get up and take your pig out
- Meat should be quite ready to pull – sauce not required