Oven Roasted ShellfishJan 16, 2012Posted by guestchefPrint
This is a quick and simple recipe for any combination of shellfish – clams, mussels, etc. Be sure to have lots of crusty bread on hand to help soak up the sauce and juices.
Oven Roasted Shellfish
- 2-4 lbs mussels or clams or a combination of each.
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Use a hot – 450° to 500° – oven with an active flame. There’s a lot of moisture in this dish and the steam created and the high heat helps to cook this dish quickly.
- Place heavy bottom saute pan or terracotta bowl in oven to heat. Add oil to pan and let it heat for a minute or two. Add garlic and onion, and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, parsley and wine and shake the pan (or stir) to mix and distribute evenly on the bottom. Cook 2 minutes to bring to boil.
- Add shellfish and place pan deep into the oven for maximum heat. Let this roast for 5 to 7 minutes or until all the shellfish have opened. Any shellfish that hasn’t opened should be discarded.
- Remove the pan from the oven, spoon shellfish into individual bowls and distribute the sauce and vegetables evenly over each bowl. Serve with crusty bread.