Eggplant ParmesanNov 12, 2011Posted by guestchefPrint
- 1 eggplant cut into 1/4" slices, salted to drain, and rinsed
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can (28 oz) San Marzano Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup basil fresh, chopped
- Fire your oven until it reaches 700F, and then allow the temperature to fall to about 550oF, maintaining a live fire. You will brown the eggplant in the oven before assembling the casserole. While you are assembling your dish, the oven temperature will continue to fall where you can bake the casserole, without burning it.
- Brush the eggplant with olive oil and broil until brown, either in flat pan or grill pan/steel or cast iron. You don’t have to flip it. It will only take a few minutes.
- Assemble the casserole by layering the browned eggplant, tomatoes, Pecorino, and basil until it’s gone. Save a little sauce for the top. Top with the Parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. If your oven is too hot, cover the pan with foil until the last few minutes.