Date-Stuffed Peppadew® PeppersSep 06, 2018Posted by guestchefPrint
We love having creative recipes in our Community Cookbook! So many of the best ones start with talented professional chefs and home chefs asking, “What if I…?” Following is one of those recipes for you to enjoy. Thanks, Chef John!
“This is one of my family’s favorite dishes to make when we fire the oven. It is a little spicy, a little sweet, and a little savory. It hits all of the senses! I adapted this recipe from a dish we had at a restaurant in Denver where dates are stuffed with farmers cheese, wrapped in ham, and drizzled with honey. Being from Texas, we like things spicy. So, I thought, ‘What if I put that date thing in a blender and stuff it in a pepper?’ Turned out to be one of the best things I’ve created!”
~Chef John O’Neil, Dallas, TX
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
|16 min||10 min|
A little spicy, a little sweet, and a little savory bite of heaven -- experience stuffed Peppadew® Peppers wrapped in ham, cooked in a wood fired oven and drizzled with honey! Yum!
- 15-20 each medium-sized Peppadew® Piquante Peppers - about ¾” to 1” in diameter, drain and reserve liquid
- ½ Cup soft fresh farmer’s cheese (ricotta works well also in a pinch)
- 1 Tbsp Reserved liquid from the peppers
- 2 Tbsp Dark Honey - plus additional for drizzle
- 5 each Pitted Medjool Dates
- ½ lbs Thinly-sliced ham (my favorite is Niman Ranch Applewood smoked uncured ham)
- 2 Tbsp rosemary - Rough chopped
- 2 Tbsp thyme - Rough Chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- olive oil - For the skillet
Whole Peppadew® Sweet Piquante Peppers come from South Africa's northern province of Limpopo. The brand entered the South African market in the early 2000’s and then exploded, internationally. They are sold in jars at specialty grocers and online, and are available in mild and hot varieties.