Toggle Photo Gallery Navigation
Home

Toggle Finished Ovens - Finished Oven
Click to view original

Toggle Information
Posted By krosskraft [Profile] [Photo Gallery]
Category Finished Ovens
Title Finished Oven
Description We finally finished our oven enclosure! We have the utmost respect for the fine craftsmanship that we have seen on Forno Bravo, but opted for ourselves a rustic look. I would like to share the secret of making a structure look “rustic”:

1. Have no previous building experience whatever
2. Have no real idea of what you are doing except for the 30 ish pages of the Forno Bravo instruction sheet.
3. Use the available materials on the building site. Earlier in the summer, we trucked in 7000 pounds of flagstone and river stone, but had used most of it to do the walkway and waterfall. We had to scrounge for enough rock to cover the oven exterior.
4. Have no real plan ahead of time, but rather let the finished project “emerge” during the process. I had the hardest time determining what roof to put on, especially since the oven is on the diagonal. The man that did the framing for me was impatient for me to tell him what to do, so we (hastily) opted on the corrugated metal roof at a slight pitch. My husband was very disappointed at first and suggested we hang a half moon over it, but I said it would look better when we get the stone on the outside.
5. Have no power tools for the job. We broke corners off of a few stones, but basically used the rocks in the shape they came.
6. Give yourself lots of permission to be creative and bold. If you screw up, you can always hire someone to fix your mistakes.

PS We did hire someone to
1) Pour the concrete foundation
2) Pour the hearth after we put down the concrete blocks
3) Frame the structure with the metal studs and concrete board
4) Put on the roof and trim and seal the roof

We just did not want to invest in the required tools to do the job, and our backs, knees, and hands were shot from doing the flagstone walkway, waterfall, swing, pergola, and deck earlier in the summer. Our entire backyard project took us six months. We declared our project “finished” the Thursday before Christmas, and that Sunday, hosted 50 friends and neighbors for pizza. Monday we had 22 family members over for more pizza! They LOVED it and the oven loved cooking every pizza for us. THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT AND SUPPORT, AND COURAGE TO ALL WHO ARE STILL ON THE JOURNEY!
Original Filesize 512.1 KB
Original Dimensions 976 x 1484
Date Posted 12-28-2007 02:12 PM
Number Of Views 797