Toggle Photo Gallery Navigation
Home

Toggle Hearth and Stand - FB board compressive strength "test"
Click to view original

Toggle Information
Posted By Eric Pfeifer [Profile] [Photo Gallery]
Category Hearth and Stand
Title FB board compressive strength "test"
Description The oven build is steady and moderately fast, but one mental stumbling block I have had is regarding the FB board. I have been losing sleep over it. Rhetorically, will this board with it's random "soft" areas, which depress under finger pressure, hold up a dome of bricks without serious deformation? A kind person on this forum provided me with some engineering numbers, which helped some. But I had no intuitve grasp of how this could work. I was sure that my dome would settle unevenly and incur unwanted mechanical stresses = cracks. After spending the money I was concerned about ripping out the board and seeking an alternative. Then an epiphany! After work tonight I grabbed some bricks and loaded that FB board at approximately the loading it would endure with a full dome. The actual numbers of this "test" are appx. 4.7 pounds/sq inch. As you can see, there is hardly any deformation of the board. As soon as my brick saw gets here, it's gangbusters until this baby is done.

Thanks all,
Eric

P.S. I have heated this stuff to red hot in the middle and was able to touch it immediately at the edges. I think FB board rocks!
Original Filesize 308.3 KB
Original Dimensions 490 x 653
Date Posted 11-02-2009 04:48 PM
Number Of Views 572