Fontina, Prosciutto Cotto, and Arugula Pizza
Here’s a great pizza from Kelly Whitaker of Boulder’s fabulous Pizzeria Basta.
We asked him to create something on the spot, using Bel Gioioso Fontina cheese and he quickly pulled together a few other great ingredients: speck (smoked prosciutto), regular prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, local mushrooms, and a garnish of arugula. We all loved it! (I got to eat the slice you see me with in the video but the production crew devoured the rest, and a few others as well!!)
One point of note: Kelly is using –00–flour (low protein, Italian-style pizza flour), but it’s not imported from Italy. Instead, it comes from San Francisco’s Giusto Mills, the very same mill that supplied my flour when I had Brother Juniper’s Bakery many years ago. It’s a small world….
Recent Articles by Peter Reinhart
- Pizza Quest with Guest Chef, Roy Elam, of Donna Jean: Plant Based Pizza to Die For
- Pizza Quest, with Guest Scott Deley, “The Ooni Pizza Project”
- Special Pizza Brunch in Winston Salem
- A Conversation with Chef John Ash, The Godfather of Wine Country Cuisine, on His New Book
- Tony Gemignani on the SF Pizza, Beer, and Bagel Festival and Much More!
- Meathead Goldwyn: The Art and Science of Barbecue and Grilling
Pizza Quest Info
Pizza Quest is a site dedicated to the exploration of artisanship in all forms, wherever we find it, but especially through the literal and metaphorical image of pizza. As we share our own quest for the perfect pizza we invite all of you to join us and share your journeys too. We have discovered that you never know what engaging roads and side paths will reveal themselves on this quest, but we do know that there are many kindred spirits out there, passionate artisans, doing all sorts of amazing things. These are the stories we want to discover, and we invite you to jump on the proverbial bus and join us on this, our never ending pizza quest.
...and other books by Peter Reinhart, available on Amazon.com