Pizza Talk: The Yodi’s are Back! Tinkering with Your Dough, Part 4
Our dough masters, John Arena and Brian Spangler, return for four new episodes in the Pizza Yodi series. During these episodes we’ll be discussing everything from the evolution over many years of each of their doughs, the life lessons they picked up along the way from other pizza giants, the in’s and out’s of baking with commercial yeast and preferments — as well as the use of long cold fermentation cycles, and we’ll follow Brian into the kitchen area of Apizza Scholls where he and his young protege’, Andreas, give us a demo on how they mix the famous Apizza Scholls dough. This all leads up to a discussion of the challenges of baking with wild yeast (aka sourdough) fermentation, and a group decision to dedicate our next round of Pizza Yodi episodes to natural fermentation. Sit back and enjoy these four episodes full of hard-earned wisdom with John Arena and Brian Spangler, our Pizza Yodi’s.
Recent Articles by Peter Reinhart
- Pizza Quest, Season Three, Episode 5: Ji Hye Kim, Korean Cuisine Re-imagined in Ann Arbor
- Pizza Quest, Season Three, Episode 4: Pizza Champion Tommy Garnick’s Artisan Journey in the Desert
- Pizza Quest, Season Three, Episode 3: Marc Forgione, From Iron Chef to Peasant
- Pizza Quest Season Three, Episode 2: Alan Cahn, The Transformation-Meister
- Pizza Quest, Season Three, Episode 1: “Pizza Quest,” the book!
- Pizza Talk, Season Two, Episode 13: The Sourdough Club, Vanessa Kimbell
Pizza Quest Info
Pizza Quest is a site dedicated to the exploration of artisanship in all forms, wherever we find it, but especially through the literal and metaphorical image of pizza. As we share our own quest for the perfect pizza we invite all of you to join us and share your journeys too. We have discovered that you never know what engaging roads and side paths will reveal themselves on this quest, but we do know that there are many kindred spirits out there, passionate artisans, doing all sorts of amazing things. These are the stories we want to discover, and we invite you to jump on the proverbial bus and join us on this, our never ending pizza quest.
...and other books by Peter Reinhart, available on Amazon.com