Pizza Talk, Season Two, Episode 3: Peels on Wheels
Welcome back for another fascinating segment of Pizza Talk. This time around we tracked down one of the most unique operations in the country, not because it is a mobile pizzeria but because of how the owner, Luis Perez, makes it happen using 4 single unit RoccBox ovens mounted into a 3-wheeled Piaggio Ape van in Rochester, NY. It basically looks like a rocket ship — I love it!!
I won’t steal Luis’s thunder but will let him tell you the whole story and show you how it works. BTW, we recorded this last fall, at the end of his first season, and a lot more has happened since for Luis as the truck is about to become a “pizza garage.” We’ll bring him back in the future or you can follow his unfolding story on Instagram @peelsonwheelspizza
Innovation and creativity — this story feels like the American Dream, circa 2021. Enjoy!!
Recent Articles by Peter Reinhart
- Pizza Quest with Guest Chef, Roy Elam, of Donna Jean: Plant Based Pizza to Die For
- Pizza Quest, with Guest Scott Deley, “The Ooni Pizza Project”
- Special Pizza Brunch in Winston Salem
- A Conversation with Chef John Ash, The Godfather of Wine Country Cuisine, on His New Book
- Tony Gemignani on the SF Pizza, Beer, and Bagel Festival and Much More!
- Meathead Goldwyn: The Art and Science of Barbecue and Grilling
Pizza Quest Info
Pizza Quest is a site dedicated to the exploration of artisanship in all forms, wherever we find it, but especially through the literal and metaphorical image of pizza. As we share our own quest for the perfect pizza we invite all of you to join us and share your journeys too. We have discovered that you never know what engaging roads and side paths will reveal themselves on this quest, but we do know that there are many kindred spirits out there, passionate artisans, doing all sorts of amazing things. These are the stories we want to discover, and we invite you to jump on the proverbial bus and join us on this, our never ending pizza quest.
...and other books by Peter Reinhart, available on Amazon.com