Pizza Talk: Justin DeLeon, King of the Crown Pizza
Justin DeLeon is the king of the Crown Pizza! He owns Apollonia’s Pizza in the heart of downtown Los Angeles and I found out about him from none other than Nancy Silverton, who you may recall talked him up in her Pizza Talk interview earlier this year. A former (and current) professional photographer, Justin brings together his love of art and composition with his passion for pizza, and creates some of the most beautiful (and delicious) pizzas in America. His signature pie, and the one that most Instagram followers know, is his Crown Pizza, a Detroit-style square pie with a tall crispy cheese frico that rises well above the pizza, forming a spectacular crown-like rim. But don’t take my word for it — watch this interview and demo and see how Justin makes it happen.
Recent Articles by Peter Reinhart
- Pizza Quest, Season Three, Episode 5: Ji Hye Kim, Korean Cuisine Re-imagined in Ann Arbor
- Pizza Quest, Season Three, Episode 4: Pizza Champion Tommy Garnick’s Artisan Journey in the Desert
- Pizza Quest, Season Three, Episode 3: Marc Forgione, From Iron Chef to Peasant
- Pizza Quest Season Three, Episode 2: Alan Cahn, The Transformation-Meister
- Pizza Quest, Season Three, Episode 1: “Pizza Quest,” the book!
- Pizza Talk, Season Two, Episode 13: The Sourdough Club, Vanessa Kimbell
Pizza Quest Info
Pizza Quest is a site dedicated to the exploration of artisanship in all forms, wherever we find it, but especially through the literal and metaphorical image of pizza. As we share our own quest for the perfect pizza we invite all of you to join us and share your journeys too. We have discovered that you never know what engaging roads and side paths will reveal themselves on this quest, but we do know that there are many kindred spirits out there, passionate artisans, doing all sorts of amazing things. These are the stories we want to discover, and we invite you to jump on the proverbial bus and join us on this, our never ending pizza quest.
...and other books by Peter Reinhart, available on Amazon.com