John Arena is a third generation pizza maker. He began making pizza professionally in his family’s New York pizzeria on his 13th birthday in 1967. John graduated from Adelphi University with a degree in communications, but skipped graduation ceremonies to open his first pizzeria in Las Vegas in 1980. Along with his cousin, Sam Facchini, he is the co-owner/founder of Metro Pizza with 6 locations. John is also the instructor of the nations first University level pizza class, History and Culture of Pizza. The course, offered to upper level hospitality students, is an in depth exploration of the social, cultural and historical influences that have shaped the many regional variations of pizza. A frequent seminar leader, and contributor to trade publications, he is a staunch advocate of sharing the joy of creating, eating and celebrating pizza, as the world’s greatest communal food. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or through his website at http://www.metropizza.com.
More Articles by John Arena
- Pizza as Self Expression
- Pizza as Self Expression, Part Two
- Does Practice Really Make Perfect?
- History on a Plate
- Report from the Vegas Pizza Expo
- Let the Buyer Beware!
- Pizza and Mythology
- It’s the Heat (or is it?)
- The Best Way to Improve Your Skills? Teach!
- Sssshhhhhhh….It’s a Secret
- Two Secret Ingredients of Great Pizza
- The Best Pizza Neighborhood?
- Learning From the Ancients
- Uncrowned Champions
- Finding Your Inner Pizza Maker
- Are You Ready to Turn Pro?
- Are You Ready to Turn Pro, Part Two
- Are You Ready to Turn Pro? Part 3
- Are You Ready to Turn Pro, Part 4
- Are You Ready to Turn Pro? Part 5
- Soccer, Coffee…Pizza?
- John Arena Has Entered the Building
- It’s The Real Thing, by John Arena
- Guest Column: Living the Pizza Dream
- It’s So Obvious…Or Is It?
- Beware The Pizza Sharks
- Mirror Mirror on the Wall
- Do’s and “Doughn’ts”
Pizza Quest Info
Pizza Quest is a site dedicated to the exploration of artisanship in all forms, wherever we find it, but especially through the literal and metaphorical image of pizza. As we share our own quest for the perfect pizza we invite all of you to join us and share your journeys too. We have discovered that you never know what engaging roads and side paths will reveal themselves on this quest, but we do know that there are many kindred spirits out there, passionate artisans, doing all sorts of amazing things. These are the stories we want to discover, and we invite you to jump on the proverbial bus and join us on this, our never ending pizza quest.
...and other books by Peter Reinhart, available on Amazon.com