Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Journeyman

Default Modified 3G Masterly Tail Build

Hi Guys,
This will be a build thread for my modified 3G masterly tail oven. (my 2nd oven build)

This is a vault oven design, which will incorporate more insulation and less thermal mass than the proposed design by Rado.

I have already built a Swishy oven back in 2008, and am very happy with it apart from the long heat up time, but really like the extended cooking period.

I was all in for building a dome oven for this build, but after using my brother in law's 42" dome oven - I was fairly underwhelmed with it's performance both for baking/roasting and pizza over the Swishy.

I know some people swear by the dome style, but I found that the floor performance (50mm tile over insulating bricks) lost heat far too quickly (it could not bake multiple pizzas in the one spot to my liking)
and when it came to cooking a roast dinner, the heat loss from roasting temp dropped off far too sharply (for me), and it took way to long to finish. (YMMV)

I would also like to be able to make pizza at night, and bake bread or roast meat the next day without having to re-fire the oven.

anyways - I'm not looking to start a discussion/argument - just trying to explain my reasons why I have decided to go with this design, so as not (hopefully) to be bombarded with posts about "why not build a dome"

you probably disagree with my reasons or probably want to question my oven usage techniques - that's ok/cool - but lets hope for an 'each to their own' mind set.

so anyways... onwards to the build...

Here are some shots of the base slab going in. I will be putting up the stand over the weekend, so some shots of that to come next week.

v12spirit likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mitchamus; 10-14-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Modified 3G Masterly Tail Build

5th image in new post due to 4 image limit...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Journeyman

could a Mod please move this thread to 'Brick oven Photos'
I have posted in the wrong spot...

Last edited by Mitchamus; 10-14-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

you're in the right spot. If you post in photos, you won't get many comments.

Curious, do you have any pictures of a finished oven of the type that you're building?

Old 10-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Journeyman

only from the plans, (which I won't re-produce here due to copyright) but here is one available online.

mine will not look like this though

Old 10-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
I don't think anyone here is worried about it detail of size or detailed plan. But just how its configured wood be interesting. Is it a dome , a barrel , made if insulated. You are a member of the forum and the forno plans are free it you would like to compare
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 10-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Journeyman

Thanks Dave, yeah I have looked extensively at the forno plans - most of my mod ideas have come from reading on this forum since 2008.

It's a barrel vault design, pic from Rado's site:

(deleted - people keep thinking this is what I've built *shrug*)

the hearth bricks will sit on edge on, giving a floor thickness of 115mm, on top of a full 4" of perlcrete insulation above the hearth slab.

The whole vault will be skinned with only 2" of cladding, Then the walls insulated with 4" of loose Perlite and the vault top covered in 2-3" of blanket insulation. (this will also allow me scope to add more cladding if I need it)

I'll also change the chimney design somewhat to make a smaller landing than the original design. The chimney will be thermally separated from the oven cladding by 4" of perlcrete and any blanket I have left over stuffed into any air gaps.

Last edited by Mitchamus; 11-14-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Interesting to hear your comments on the 50 mm floor tile.
I have firebrick set on 75 mm edges and find them to store a goodly amount of heat. Multiply pizza are not a worry and baking next day is never an issue as long as you close the oven of with an insulated door. I toyed with the idea of doing the brick at 115 mm edge but decided in my case it was overkill as I didn't see myself doing multiple bread bakes and such.
I think you'll find that most members here have no problem with whatever configuration you us ... You'll only get some comments on lack of insulation or other thugs that make a WFO unusable
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 10-15-2013, 12:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

200mm of thermal mass in the floor? Really?
JohnR likes this.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:29 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
200mm of thermal mass in the floor? Really?
Not sure where you got 200 from- but it would be 115mm
(Btw swishy has 215mm and will easily hold 500deg C + all day long)

Last edited by Mitchamus; 10-15-2013 at 02:32 AM.

Tags
3rd generation, barrell, masterly tail, rado, vault