Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door Autoclaved airated cement block

Gudday
    Got invited to a mates place in the break Great pizza for lunch. best roast lamb and veg for evening meal......Shame about his door
    Click image for larger version

Name:	doors 003.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	318115
    Mate... pretty ugly but I have got to admit the thing worked a treat...can't believe a piece of aluminum foil could stop that ply from burning!
    Anyway I have made this one for him which is little tidier than my own.
    [ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	doors 002.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	318116[/ATTACH]
    Its basically 75mm... 3in Hebel block bolted to a 10mm ply front (non gal bolts) another piece of 10mm ply screwed to the first covering the bolt heads which do get hot. The handles scewed to this so they two remain cool.
    A revel is then cut into the hebel ..the stuff cuts like butter you can saw, chisel or rasp to shape. The door can then be used to seal all that heat when the fires out for some slow cooking. My original one has survived about a year quite well handles the heat alright. It has a crack in the hebel block (from a fall).... now I better build myself new one with the extra prettier wood to cover the boltheads.

Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Re: Door Autoclaved airated cement block

Name:	doors 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	288104

Name:	doors 002.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	288105

Sorry stuffed that ......
    Measure twice
    Cut once

My Build
    My Door

Comment

Ditch the bolts and use silastic to glue it all together, the bolts will transfer heat.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gudday Al
        What silasic? what sort of silastic is this,wait a min didn't you use silastic in your chimney damper?......what and were did ya get it

Regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once

My Build
        My Door

Comment

Most silastic is good to 600c, I used roof and gutter silastic from Bunnies.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Ive put a blow torch to roof and gutter silicone to try and get rid of it to solder a join on a gutter.It didnt burn after a few minutes I gave up

Comment

When I tried a Hebel panel screwed to a wooden door it cracked in half after a couple of months. The problem is that it is made from Portland cement. If you could get an aerated concrete slab that used calcium aluminate cement that would be a better solution.
              Al, can't see any silastic withstanding 600 C The stuff I use is good for 220 C I use it around my flue. It gets a bit soft when firing, but hardens on cooling and doesn't affect its sealing capacity. There are high temp silastics that will withstand higher temps, but they contain carcinogens and are way more expensive.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                When I tried a Hebel panel screwed to a wooden door it cracked in half after a couple of months.
                Did it crack where the screw holes were?

The silastic holding the skid plate to my damper is still holding and Ive clocked the flue gasses at around 600c.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gudday All
                  Sorry for the late reply...
                  Davids thanks for your input....the crack I have in my temp. door is from dropping it ...ages ago... hebel is brittle. 10mm ply is flexible, drop the door and thats what happens. The bolts held it together so I kept on using it and yes the Hebel surface has stood up to the heat....I tend to use it also placed in front of the chimney as a heat sheld as well ...no probs. Its been a year now to so much for a temp. door.
                  So I think I will build Mod 111 for myself using silastic as the glue (thanks brickie) It should give me a flexible union between the ply and the hebel and stop the tendancy to crack. The hebel insulation properties should stop the worst of the heat from the silastic (thanks fornoa)
                  And if it fails .....the hebel used is worth $5 the other materials scrap and the effort involved....nothing.

Thanks all
                  regards Dave
                  Last edited by cobblerdave; 01-03-2012, 04:57 PM.
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once

My Build
                  My Door

Comment

Brickie, my Hebel cracked right down the middle not where the screws were. The panel was only 1" thick. wouldn't use screws again, they get so hot they tend to char the the wood where they make the threads. I now use 3/16" 316 SS , much better. I prefer solid timber to ply as the glue holding the ply together does not like t he heat cycling, I think solid timber is better, I use Quilla.
                    Brickie, if your refractory was 600C it would be glowing red (doubtful), perhaps you were reading F

PS Tokyo is awesome. Saw an Italian fish restaurant with a WFO, will take a pic if I get back there again. There is EVERYTHING here.
                    Last edited by david s; 01-04-2012, 05:21 AM.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Gudday all
                      Problem wih building a temperary anything and it works... you keep on using it and never build a "proper" one.
                      So I've made my mind up the door has to get pulled apart or I'll never build another

Name:	od 001.jpg
Size:	474.5 KB
ID:	288509 Click image for larger version

Name:	od 005.jpg
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	288510

Pulling it apart was interesting the hebel surface was basically a bit smoke stained and chipped but still in good condition not deteriated at all from the heat. The ply that it was bolted to was also still good I 1/2 expected to find some heat damage around the bolt holes but there was none. Did however showed charring on the bottom edge where it was in contact with the hearth bricks at the entrance no scorching anywhere else so the hebel did its job.
                      So I started Mk 111 door this time using silastic instead of bolts
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once

My Build
                      My Door

Comment

hey Dave, i think i have read somewhere that you could also use calcium silicate board as a door...is that right?. I think it may have to be covered with steel sheeting of some sort to help protect from the initial fire/heat.
                        this is what i was going to use, i dont think its too expensive either, about $25 a sheet.
                        interestingly..which would be lighter...hebel or cal. sil. board?
                        Aussie Pete

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"

Comment

Gudday
                          Using silastic I glued the hebel to a face made of two pieces of 10mm ply screwed together.

Name:	od 002.jpg
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	288511
                          2 pieces so if the silastic didn't work out I can unscrew them bolt the hebel on them rescrew the secound over the top to cover the hot bolt heads. I used 3 in ( 75mm)hebel as i did in the first and cut a 1 in (25 mm) revel
                          Too bloody heavy I was sure mark 1 didn't weigh this much so I weighed it ....12.6 KG.....Decieded that was getting too much so I set about reducing the weight

Name:	od 007.jpg
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	288514
                          Cut 25 mm off the whole thing and recut the revel weighed the door again.....9.4 KG thats better and the thing even though still quite heafty is usable. as you can see I used hand tools to do this it real dusty stuff and power tools would just make a big mess. Its real easy to saw and rasp Ive carved things with it before

Name:	od 007.jpg
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	288514 Click image for larger version

Name:	od 008.jpg
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	288515
                          Final door also has a the ply cut higher than the hebel on the bottom and a piece of alum angle to protect it from the hot bricks. I be testing this one to see that it works and I'm on the lookout for some interesting hardwood to replace the outer piece of ply with.
                          Sorry some of the photo got mixed up but thats all to date

Regards Dave
                          Last edited by cobblerdave; 02-18-2012, 12:02 AM.
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once

My Build
                          My Door

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Pete View Post
                            hey Dave, i think i have read somewhere that you could also use calcium silicate board as a door...is that right?. interestingly..which would be lighter...hebel or cal. sil. board?
                            Gudday Pete
                            Have some cal sil board and its real light... lighter than hebel. Real soft to. My problem with it it is that it really needs to be covered with a metal skin. My metal working skills are not that advanced and the door that I did see "proffesionally" made was worth $300. Bloody beautiful job looked great And you can just guess what ....gets real hot.... not what you need from an insulated door. Definitly need to separate the outer and inner parts!
                            I'll keep the cal sil board and this can be on ongoing project.
                            Meanwhile the hebel door has proven to work well ....is easy to make...cheap and the parts easy to obtain.
                            Now that Ive written this out I have a thought... perhaps a composite could work an outer wood door with a metal protective layer on the inside to protect the cal sil.... could work

Thanks Dave
                            Last edited by cobblerdave; 02-18-2012, 12:28 AM.
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once

My Build
                            My Door

Comment

that sounds like a plan Dave, show us some pics when your done. I'm still yet to make my door, yours will be interesting to see how it comes up.
                              Aussie Pete

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"

Comment

Working...
                              X