Oven number two..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven number two..

Ive started the quest to gather the ingredients to make oven number two.
    Im going for red/blue clinker bricks for the corners (quoins) and am going to infill with basalt cut to size to fit.
    Ive bought a load of Bluestone (Basalt) blocks that I still have to pick up.

Ive got Squints for the oven door and arch, I priced these at one demo yard and they wanted $3 each, I ended up getting them at a different yard for 30 cents each.

Same with the bricks, the expensive yard wanted $2 each, I got them elsewhere for 80 cents each.

Id like a Welsh slate roof but at $4 each second hand for the slates Ill think of an alternative.

The oven will be a barrel type with clay pavers as the internal oven.

The oven floor will be 300x300x40 fire bricks recycled from the old oven with a course of solid reds underneath.

Insulation
    Under the floor will be vermiculite.
    On top of the oven will be 2" of ceramic blanket and at least 4" of vermiculite.

Any thoughts/ideas/remarks welcome.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-20-2011, 09:27 PM.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: Oven number two..

I don't know how you do it after laying block all day and then come home and work on the oven. Energy drinks?

Comment

I usually take a protein and glucosamine drink in the morning to get me going and drink a Gatorade type drink during the day to stop dehydration.

Maybe its because Im still only a young fella, Ill be 56 in March.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I'm told everyone over 50 should take glucosamine as the body's natural production of it drops off. You're meant to slow down after 50 but those of us who still have a big list of things to do before we drop off the perch need that boost. I'll be 61 this year, still run 50K/week.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Nice. I like those brick.

Comment

I scored some 1860's shaped radius bricks when I was out detecting in the goldfields today....cool....
            Im sure I can find a spot for them somewhere in the outer oven shell..

I also tell everyone I meet they should take glucosamine..
            You can really feel the difference, Ive been taking it for about 10 years and most of my aches and pains went and never came back.
            Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-22-2011, 12:50 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I bought some bluestone pitchers today for the oven outer shell, they had a former life as street guttering or lane way paving here in Melbourne. (they just love ripping up or pulling down history in Oz. )

Im just waiting for a masonry table saw to arrive to cut the bluestone then I will make a start.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

That bluestone should do really well. It's really dense stuff. By the look of the ancient Roman and medieval ovens they just used rocks mortared together.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Rough set out with brick quoins (corners) and stone infill.

The old oven base will just act as fill for the new one.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Finally!! the bricksaw I bought off epay has arrived so I can make a start on cutting the stone..

My Build.

Books.

Comment

We breed 'em tough in Oz, I'm 52. Keep up the great posts you blokes.

Comment

This may take a while.

Here are some stone blocks I cut this arvo, I have to cut at least 1M3 to do the base and a bit of the oven enclosure.
                        All blocks are cut in fractions of 1 brick course at, 1/2 course, 1 course, 1 1/2 courses, 2 courses etc etc.
                        Last edited by brickie in oz; 02-01-2011, 10:27 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I did some more cutting today of the rock and here is a preview of what it might look like.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Sawn all sides. That is a nice look, and I like that stone, although it looks hard as hell.

Comment

Yep, sawn all sides, itll take a while to cut, its probably as hard as a well fired brick.

I shouldnt have taken the old oven down yet as I miss the meals we used to do in it.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X