Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

I fastened the studs to the top and bottom tracks today. Next step is to build roof trusses.

Also started my third curing fire. Sticks and twigs. Still no real heat being generated. My cheap-o oven thermometer didn't exceed 100F.
Attached Thumbnails
My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure-img_2167.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
I fastened the studs to the top and bottom tracks today. Next step is to build roof trusses.
Nicely done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Also started my third curing fire. Sticks and twigs. Still no real heat being generated. My cheap-o oven thermometer didn't exceed 100F.
You better start looking for one with higher temps than that!

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 11-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
You better start looking for one with higher temps than that!
I should clarify... the thermometer goes up to 600F. It didn't go past 100F in my fire. I'm pretty sure the top of the dome was well above that, though.

Updated!

Old 11-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I tried to use a meat thermometer in mine for the curing fires. It too, failed to read 100 degrees.
G.

-
Old 11-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hopefully my FB Infrared thermometer arrives soon!

Updated!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Master Builder

If it's any consolation, I didn't get any real heat near the floor until about the 5th or 6th fire, when I stopped being cautious and gave it more of a blast. Up to that point, I had been getting pretty worried that I had got something horribly wrong ! Since the bigger fires though, and possibly because the oven got progressively drier too, there's been no problem getting it warmed up .

I still just have a dinky little BBQ thermometer with a maximum reading of 600F and it's obvious that my oven now easily gets beyond that - by how much, I don't know but all that really matters is that it cooks just fine - yours will too!

Sarah
Old 11-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Master Builder

PS - good work on the framing - we're doing something very similar but have not progressed as much as you just yet.

Sarah
Old 11-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah h View Post
If it's any consolation, I didn't get any real heat near the floor until about the 5th or 6th fire
Thanks! I was wondering about that... I wasn't worried yet (I'm still in the sticks and twigs phase), but curious when the floor would warm up.

I can tell the oven is working properly. I can definitely see it "breathe". A clear layer of cool air entering the lower half of the door and a smoky layer exiting the top into the flue. Really cool to watch.

Updated!

Old 12-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great rainy day activity: make roof trusses in the garage

I cut a triangle out of masonite to use as a simple jig to assure all my trusses where assembled with the same angle. The roof has a 30deg slope (7/12 roof pitch).

This is my first project with metal studs. They are great fun to work with. The best benefit is the light weight.

Updated!

Old 12-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice trusses Ken.

How long did that take ya?
And how did you cut those metal studs? Tin snips?

Looking good man.

Can't wait to see how close your actual enclosure looks like as compared to your photoshop pic.
I know it will sure will be pretty.

Dave

My costs:

My pics: