Old 10-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Acoma 42" Tuscan

It has finally began. I am over the prep, prep, prep. Absolutely exhausting, spending countless hours reshaping my entire backyard so that I may have the needed dirt for the area where I will be building the oven.
Today, I formed my area, then started to remove dirt. Tomorrow, I hope to complete excavation of the dirt (2ft. at footers). My goal is to have the area prepped for pour by end of week. Pictures of site will be after dirt is done.
I know, I have been full of information, lacking in action. Well, I have been in action (prep), meaningless to the facts of oven building. I am now happy to be a part of my respectfull peers.

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Acoma 42" Tuscan

Congrats Robert!

You will need blankets, because we will be freezing next week I may be done for the year, but no worries, gives me a spring project

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Master Builder

Excellent! A monumentous day for sure. I'm sure that you, more that alot of us, know what you are getting yourself into. I can't offer much, but I will say this. Focus on the big picture, but make sure you are happy with each baby step. Don't let yourself try to tell yourself "that's good enough", or "no one will ever notice that". Your oven is going to last a LONG time.

Did you move the dirt around and then excavate it? I didn't understand that part. Can't wait to see some photos.

Dusty

P.S. I thought that if southern cal. had a capital, Los Angeles would be it.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les, the dirt is removed for footings. Now the prep for pouring.
Dusty, for preperations I built a retaining wall 2.5ft above ground by 60ft. I then rototilled the entire backyard because the slope was terrible for all I plan to do. My area where the oven courtyard and island go had a big gully that I needed to fill with dirt (post retaining wall). I then used two types of MONSTER tampers that made my body jello. I then moved my fence (seperating front to back yards) towards the street by 6ft. Finally, I dug 2ft. deep area for the oven where the soil is hard clay with rocks inside. By now, patience is well understood. Like Les, I live where freezing soil is a concern. I was informed that 2ft is best here. Last year we had nearly a week of 10 below. Many homes had busted water pipes, flooding within, due to thawing.
I will now prepare the site with correct steps and pour. Once done, I plan to go slow and careful, by natures time and whether.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 10-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Master Builder

Wow! Like total yard makeover. I figured that your 2' footings had to do with the freezing weather. Mine are 8", but winters here are nowhere near that harsh. Must be a tremendous relief to finally begin the oven part of the project - the part you have been working so hard towards for months.

dusty
Old 11-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am about to get rebarb for ground prep. I was curious about the fabric recommendatins for seperating the dirt from cement (for foundation). I have seen a few types, but what is best for frost areas like the sierras?

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 11-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm not sure you need it at all, but I would guess that standard ground cloth for landscaping would suit your needs.

Just my opinion.
George

-
Old 11-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I found a solution. I'm good for this concern. Today was about material for the foundation. Sunday will be about prepping for pour. Oh ya, and a pre pour, post pour photo.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 11-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Robert,

There is no need for a barrier between dirt and concrete. Serves no purpose. If a weed got to your oven I would call 911

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Barrier be gone. I was unsure of the needs as well, but I wanted to confirm first. We have not really discussed the needs of barrier on the forum, or maybe I missed that day in class. Thanks Les, great to hear that. I am 2' down, and it sucked. That clay was as hard as the rocks that came out too. Tomorrow I take my daughter (photo) to the Pack game.

Acoma's Tuscan: