Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

You guys are too nice. I'm making this all up as I go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

sure ken. sure
hahha

have a good weekend.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 08-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Porcelain tile has been installed and mortared. I was stuck having the bare edge of the tile exposed around the curved cantilever. I doctor it up a using caulk that matched the grout color to soften the edge a bit. Not a perfect solution but it will suffice.

In hindsight, I should have raised the stone facing up about a 1/4" so the tile could have been inset inside the stone face. Oh well; next oven .

Last step is to paint the stucco. My father-in-law doesn't think I need to wait a month for the paint since I stuccoed in shallow layers. I'll probably buy the paint later this week and slap it on.

Updated!

Old 08-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great Ken! Question: I'm finding that the porcelain chips a little bit when I cut it. Did you experience that as well?

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Looks great Ken! Question: I'm finding that the porcelain chips a little bit when I cut it. Did you experience that as well?
YES! I had horrible chipping. I went back to the tile shop and showed them a sample. They asked me how old the blade was. I said "only a year, but I had cut a few hundred bricks with it" (it's also a segmented blade - I suspect the tile doesn't like the gaps in the segments).

The nice lady sold me a new 10" diamond tile blade for $39. With the new blade, I was able to make nearly perfect cuts.

So, head over to the tile store and grab a new blade!

Updated!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well (to drag up that tired old joke again) that certainly looks like the best landing you ever made. Very nice, can't wait to see it all with the paint on!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
YES! I had horrible chipping. I went back to the tile shop and showed them a sample. They asked me how old the blade was. I said "only a year, but I had cut a few hundred bricks with it" (it's also a segmented blade - I suspect the tile doesn't like the gaps in the segments).
All the blades I get for my 8 inch tile saw are smooth-edged. You'll still get chipping if you don't run enough water or the blade is dull, but otherwise the cuts should be smooth as a baby's bottom.

I liked the segmented blade I got for the brick saw, though. I thought it did a better job, faster.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Finished Oven!

Well, it's hard to believe the day has arrived. My Old Kentucky Dome is officially complete.

This morning I painted the stucco with Behr (Home Depot) Masonry/Stucco paint. I honestly couldn't be happier with the way the project turned out. The oven far exceeds my expectations in both looks and functionality.

Thanks again to James/Forno Bravo and everyone's support and advice from all around the world (how cool is that?). I couldn't have (and wouldn't have) done it without you guys and gals.

Here's a view of our back patio and the oven. I just poured the footers for an arbor that will cover the patio.

Another view taken from the pool area.

Updated!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Congrats Ken! Truely a GREAT body of work.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well done Ken! Let me be the first to congratulate you (only I'll probably have to type really fast for that....)

Seriously, its been a joy and an inspration watching your wonderful oven take shape. Thank you very much for sharing your progress.

May you have many happy hours of enjoyment with your oven for many years to come!