Old 03-19-2008, 02:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Acoma's cure

Well, RobertRobertRobert ... nice to get up this morning and read all about how its comming along! I'm getting more and more jelous of this new curing method, I can tell you.

Apart from that, I'm with Versachi: that big smile on your face says it all. What a lovely photo!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thank you everyone.

Yesterday, I had a prestart heat of 53 degrees, ending with 300 degrees.
This morning, the prestart temp was 164 degrees.

I looked over the inside of the oven as best I could at 5:30am this morning as I prepared for the 6am start. All was good, with no cracks to be seen, I feel more confident!

I will have another photo or two this afternoon.

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

So far so good. Keep it going Robert.!

Seems you are just about ready to cook something..

Or are you going to wait for pizza as your first meal?

Dave(Kenneth)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 03-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoma View Post

My next photo is a shot of the scrap on the left that the yard says I can pick up any time. The right side is of old fence that I cut into pieces. I notice that this fence goes up QUICK. Great for getting a flame going, and to manage the low heat, which is needed for the heavy Almond.

The other is of my Almond, and unfortunately the other photo of my larger (60%) stack did not show.
I would love to get my hands on that wood!!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 03-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Apprentice

Robert,

Where is the place you purchased the almond located? I am thinking next time I come up to Reno I may have to stop by and pick up some of that scrap wood....that is after I have devoured some pizzas from your nice looking oven.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dalucca, once you prepare to come in, let me know, and I can introduce you to them. I don't think they want people just getting scrap that have not bought any wood. I am positive that upon introducing you, it will be ok. They said they would just throw it away (mulch it) as the piles build up. Dave, I am sure you hate hearing that

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 03-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dave, my strategy upon completion of cures, and hopefully no cracks, is to hold of pizzas for 5-10 heat ups. I am thinking that I will heat up to 700-800 range for those first 5-10, continue to drive out the moisture, and cook other foods. I think, and could be wrong, that when we finish our cure, go radical with heat, maybe even Plasma, that the mortar still is not done, and gives under the pressure, heat. This is only a guess, and I am documenting each day and step, so we will see. Trust me, I want the pizza, just not the cracks if I can pull it off.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 03-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoma View Post
All was good, with no cracks to be seen, I feel more confident!

I will have another photo or two this afternoon.
Way to go Robert!
James

Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thank you James.

After 7 hours of curing between 300-350 (rare moments of 375), the oven is starting to saturate a lot. If I put SMALL pieces in, it spikes, like 20 minutes ago when it went 390. I let the wood go down to minin embers and dust. It is not difficult to get new wood going again. I figured that after 30 minutes it will cool to 300 since I just checked it a few minutes ago, only to find it sitting at 352.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 03-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

This sounds just right. A lot of heat saturation at this very moderate heat will slowly bake all your water out.

Once you have done this cure, I think you will be really pleased with how your oven will quickly come up to cooking temperatures.

James

James