The "Redgum Roarer" - brick dome oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Redgum Roarer" - brick dome oven

Hi there..... My name is Damon (Bacterium) and I'm in the process of building a dome shaped brick oven. Have only just stumbled on this site later in the process and what a great resource it is. I feel it best I "chip in" some but I'm happy to get your feedback/suggestion as well.

Here's my story(so far) on my oven "The Redgum Roarer" - (beware sarcastic content)

Stage 1 = Concept
    It all started over a beer with my brother - we were talking about a book written by Russel Jeavons - Building and Baking in your brick oven. This conversation then made its way around the local "bush telegraph". Time went by and it was all just talk (and beer). So, I decided I was going to be the "Guinea Pig"....and make all the "mistakes". Bought the book and read it at least twice.

After some months discussion with the "planning manager" it seemed like she might approve the concept - IF it was built in the very rear of the back yard - plausible!!!
    Hmmm.....lets just get back to the beer and redo those concept drawings.
    After a few more months of discussion I got it "approved" adjacent the pergola area. Budget approval was set to $300.....mmm time to be resourceful.

Out the back of my shed was enough house bricks (left by previous owner) for a base. Now I just needed the dome contents.
    Then one day down at the local tyre joint (while the car was getting a new set of rubber) I spotted nearly 2 pallets of solid red bricks - after some exchange of beer (half a carton) they were on my trailer and headed home....it turns out they were left overs (brand new) for the tyre guys store extension some 15yrs ago... or more.

I figured I didn't have the funds for a pre made refactory unit (starting around $2500 locally) but I could build a reasonable brick oven for pizzas and some baking work for around $300 - $500 - not perfect but a great entertaining oven.

I then had to wait a little longer for our 3rd son to enter the world..... life (and sleep) then returned.

Next - Stage 2 = Hard Work
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Re: The "Redgum Roarer" - brick dome oven

First it was bottom slab:

then the brick base:

then the top slab - complete with ash box slot:

then I broke with convention and added a couple refactory tiles to give me a nice smooth base to cook on.
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

then I stuffed around with some Garden edging to get an idea on dome size/shape

then I laid half of it up
      Cheers
      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

As of yesterday morning it was time to finish the dome....which by the way is"
        - 1100mm diameter, internal
        - 550mm height, internal

then I had to crawl inside and remove all the sand (used to support the "dome cap")

All that was hard and messy work....so naturally it was time for a beer in a nice quiet spot.

Stage 3 = Finish Off (The plan so far)
        -Finish front outer arch and smoke chamber(in front of dome)
        -Fit stainless steel flue - 7 inch diameter
        -Render outside of dome with motar mix and mesh wire (tied to brick dome)
        -A series of small firings and some beer.......Yes I have a large stockpile of dried redgum to fire it.
        -Reasearch outer dome coating - possibly Insulcast or similar weatherproof coating
        -Section above brick base area to be rendered (stucco)

Stage 4 = Reward
        - Cook and Eat....although this might start to happen in Stage 3

-Install insulation underneath top slab...if required
        -Install double door to front of brick base to conceal ash box and wood/tool storage space.
        -Install pull out laminate bench top (in wood/tool storage space) - yep have a nice piece left over from kitchen reno.
        - Make an inner oven door (for baking)
        Cheers
        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Damon
          What brand and quantity of beer are you using?

Bill
          Tutto Fumo e niente arrosto!

Comment

^^^
            Coopers or Cascade

quantity is a secret
            Cheers
            Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

I always seem to cook better on Coopers.

Bill

Comment

Blimey!

Aussies are really starting to come out of the woodwork lately. And yet another Adelaidean. I guess with Russell's Pizza being fairly conspicuous here, and due to his great book as a motivator (me included), it would be natural that this would be so.

I wonder where the major population centres in Oz draw their inspiration, if not from this forum?

Great build Damon - I look forward to seeing the finished product and hear how you enjoy that first pizza!

Bill - good to see someone outside South Australia enjoying some excellent cask maker's products. I'd have to say that (malt whisky aside) I do everything better on it! The Beef Wellington sounds superb. Have you posted any photo's of your oven?

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

Yikes - one suggested mod for the next one. Isolate the bottom of the oven from the top slab via a perlite cement or a refractory inuslation board. You are going to find that the heat from the fire is going to heat up that bottom slab - unless I missed something in your description. Gret looking dome!

Comment

Originally posted by jengineer View Post
                    Yikes - one suggested mod for the next one. Isolate the bottom of the oven from the top slab via a perlite cement or a refractory inuslation board. You are going to find that the heat from the fire is going to heat up that bottom slab - unless I missed something in your description. Gret looking dome!

yeah jengineer, that is something I am starting to wonder about after reading on here.

The oven floor is 2 refractory tiles - 75mm ( 2.9 inches) thick
                    they sit on on a 25mm (1 inch) bed of sand
                    and that sits on the reinforced concrete slab 90mm (3.5inches).
                    the slab is well supported by a series of brick walls underneath - even in the center.

just wondering what people experiences are.

Is that going to be detrimental for the slab?
                    OR
                    is it just that the slab will heat up...not ideal (for heat loss or things stored underneath) .....but no major drama?

I was thinking maybe of insulating the underside of the slab with some vermiculite or something??

My original plan for the area underneath the slab was mainly to store the peel, oven door, tools etc. when the oven is not in use (This would all sit behind a couple steel doors).Maybe even throw in a pull out bench if its not too hot.... then again maybe not

peoples thoughts??
                    Cheers
                    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by Hendo View Post
                      Blimey!

Great build Damon - I look forward to seeing the finished product and hear how you enjoy that first pizza!

Cheers, Paul.
                      thanks Hendo

I might not have it exactly right (as some things are a bit vague in the book - for the uneducated) but I rekon it should crank out a half decent pizza....
                      Cheers
                      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Damon & Paul

I also have Russell Jeavons book. Have you guys been to his restaurant? I imagine we could learn a lot just watching him cook.

Bill

Comment

If you can still do it, I would recommend either 3"-4" of vermiculite concrete, or 2" calcium silicate insulation under the oven -- for two good reasons. Your oven will heat up faster, without the sand and concerete wicking heat away from your cooking floor, and it will hold heat better because it won't vent heat out the bottom. I have seen this in person, where I touched the bottom (outside of the hearth) of a non-insulated oven and you could really feel the heat escaping the oven.
                          James
                          Last edited by james; 04-24-2007, 06:20 AM.
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

My father's oven is built with just sand as the insulating layer under the oven, and it works well enough that it inspired me to build my own. The drawback is a long heat up time, and it takes a fair amount more wood to keep it hot. He also has the vent coming out of the dome rather than in front of the oven, so I can't say it's all an insulation issue - I'd love to hear how yours heats up once cured.

Comment

billrd
                              I'm down the other end of Adelaide from Russell's place but hope to venture down there one day. I've done a cheese making course with Mark from Blessed Cheese (down that way) though and have gone on to make some of my own - fetta, camembert, haloumi and mozzarella. I?ve used a recipe for ?30minute mozzarella? which is quite fun ?..I was hoping to combine this with the pizza making at some point???.

James
                              yeah I now understand why I should have put something between the concrete slab and the oven floor?.. which annoys me a little ??..mmehh?..
                              Now that it?s built though - Is it worthwhile in insulating the underneath of the concrete slab? Like putting a vermiculite coating or a blanket etc??just wondering

maver
                              I suppose it?s not the end of the world for my oven and I?m still quietly excited?.but when you look through some of the breads that CanuckJim produces it has opened my eyes to another whole angle I never really thought about.

Just as well my Dad is a wood turner and has a very large source of red gum to fire my oven......hence the name
                              Cheers
                              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...
                              X