Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
That's good to hear. I think some stainless in this area is a good solution, but my point was that it needs to be thin. If yours is only 2% of the mass of the same volume of firebrick then yours must be extremely thin. Looking at Colin's photo the section appears to be a 2" x1" (25x50 mm with a wall thickness of around 2.0mm) which weighs just over 2 kgs/m. The same volume of dense firebrick weighs 9.5 Kgs. So you have around 20% of the mass not 2%. Really the only stainless bit you need is the bit on top and a little down the sides. Reducing the amount of stainless exposed to the bricks on the sides and the bottom would be preferable. With a wall thickness of 0.5 mm and say40% of the section cut away, the mass could be reduced to an eighth of what you presently have. Another job for the angle grinder perhaps?
you can only count the mass at the top and bottom. The way to calculate the heat transfer is as the mass of the top and bottom of the tube passing through two planes of metal. But you are really stirring up a tempest in a teapot on this one. A heat break doesn't affect the performance of the oven while firing, it is only about retention after firing. And after firing, heat loss through the floor is not really a big issue. The dome has greater mass than the floor and heat rises. The places to focus on heat retention are the door and the arch heat break

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
you can only count the mass at the top and bottom. The way to calculate the heat transfer is as the mass of the top and bottom of the tube passing through two planes of metal. But you are really stirring up a tempest in a teapot on this one. A heat break doesn't affect the performance of the oven while firing, it is only about retention after firing. And after firing, heat loss through the floor is not really a big issue. The dome has greater mass than the floor and heat rises. The places to focus on heat retention are the door and the arch heat break
I'm not trying to stir a tempest, just trying to give evidence why it's important to use as little density of stainless as possible because it's way denser and conductive than brick. If you are trying to create a heat break then stay away from heavy, dense and highly conductive material. If you must use it then make it as thin as you can. In your case because you have used an extremely thin tube (2% of the same volume of brick) you'll be ok. I actually miscalculated, a 2" x 1" (25 x 50mm) x 2mm thick stainless tube at 2.1 kgs/m, is only 46% of the mass of the same volume of solid brick (4.6 kgs) and 10x more conductive.
Heat moving by conduction will travel downwards very easily especially if a more conductive material is beneath it. It is the very reason that insulation under the floor is important. Heat rises in air because it expands the air, making it less dense than the surrounding air, like a bubble rising in water.It's different when heating a solid.

Last edited by david s; 07-30-2013 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 07-31-2013, 01:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Work last weekend part 1 photos
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0860.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0861.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0862.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0863.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0864.jpg  

new build in werribee-imag0865.jpg  

Old 07-31-2013, 01:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Part 2 photos.

Woops didn't take any photos of next course 9, 2/3 completed. Will do so tomorrow, before picking up my granite landing.

Stay tuned for Part 3
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0867.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0866.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0868.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0869.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0870.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-31-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice brick work Colin. Just about there.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-31-2013, 06:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ta Russell

Now too see how I go widening the bricks to span 2 bricks on bond and keep the tight internal brick to brick fit. Once course 9 is completed that is.

Finally worked out your chimney mount, I kept seeing it all wrong, you bolted the plate to the vent structure not the capping bricks. Derrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-31-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ya, my pics are confusing, the view is actually looking upside down, just wanted to show the inset cuts of the anchor plate.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 08-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

well was ill but got something done. Picked up landing, positioned. Cut some splits for course 10 and to lift the landing to the right height [one brick, one cut two purposes].

Made some alterations to my dome template for the last couple of courses.

Part 1 Photos below.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0873.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0874.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0876.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0878.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0877.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-01-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Part 2 photos

Not far away now from closing maybe this weekend [have 3 days off ] will get to last 2 courses at least, hopefully landing cemented in place, maybe a little further. Who knows, fingers crossed no holdups.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0878.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0879.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0880.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0881.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-01-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:31 AM
Master Builder

Looking good Colin.............. I really like your oven landing.

KB