Old 06-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Serf

Default Re: Neillís Pompeii #4

The spark arrester sounds like a great addition.
could you give a more detailed description of construction?
Old 06-10-2007, 02:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Neillís Pompeii #7

Sunday 10th June
Another fine day, well until drizzling rain set in at 4:30pm. Mixed up 4 mixes of vermiculite and put the final third coat on the igloo. Went and picked up some platering sand and a couple extra 20 kg cement and mixed enough render to clad the vermiculite with a ¾” coat. It was then time to clean up all of the tools and the area as all of the dirty construction is now complete.
I also cut to shape a very hard and heavy black granite slab that one of my students had left over from a sink cut-out when he was a worker in granite headstones and bench tops. A very nice slab for rolling our the pizza bases. I can almost smell them already. I start the fires tomorrow and also fold up the stainless vent. I may as well make the most of the last public holiday until October.

CS Wolffe
Thanks for interest in my oven construction. The spark arester is as explained in a previous reply. The wire is woven in a plain or tafetta weave and a length around 10-12" high is rolled onto a cylinder to the diameter the same as the flue and inserted at the top just below the cap. All smoke and sparks will be forced through the mesh and kill any sparks that might go up the chimney. Will post some pics when I get there. Keep watching.

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Neillís Pompeii #4-granite-slab-web.jpg   Neillís Pompeii #4-neill-last-v-coat-web.jpg   Neillís Pompeii #4-neill-last-vcoat-web.jpg   Neillís Pompeii #4-reder-coat-web.jpg  

Last edited by nissanneill; 07-25-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Neillís Pompeii #8

Monday 11th June
A wonderful blue sky and a few clouds, so it was up early and into the oven flue. Dragged out the remaining sheet of stainless and marked out the vent components. Cut it with my little angle grinder and 1mm cutting blades – fantastic for this type of work provided you don’t force the cut. Folded up the sides and welded them together. Found some galvanised flue laying around, 8" but plan on using stainless for the final fitment. Still have a few things to finish before putting vent in permanently. A couple of fittings and it is ready for installing. It can just sit in place for a couple of months until I can demolish the existing pergola and replace it with a new curved/rolled steel unit with polycarbonate and colour-bond which is still on the drawing board.
I lit the first fire and all went well. A little smoke out front but when the kindling caught, all was fine. Plenty of heat but not too much to cause trouble.
When the fire died down, I drilled the hearth bricks and installed the stainless steel sill and temporarily put the rope seal in place for the picture. I used some copper wire as the plugs for the screws to grip in the screws holding the sill plate in position. All other materials will either burn or deteriorate with the heat expected in the fire bricks.
Made the adjustable brass bushed for the cast doors but ran out of time and will progress with the door patterns during the week whilst increasing the fires. Pizzas are looking like on the menu for next Sunday night!

Neill

PS To continue these threads, please go to:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...10-a-2119.html
Attached Thumbnails
Neillís Pompeii #4-vent-flue-web.jpg   Neillís Pompeii #4-1st-fire-no-flash-web.jpg   Neillís Pompeii #4-first-fire-no-flash-web.jpg   Neillís Pompeii #4-first-fire-web.jpg   Neillís Pompeii #4-rope-seal-sill-web.jpg  

Last edited by nissanneill; 05-20-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Neillís Pompeii #4

Love the arch and opening design with the steel.

So your spark arrester is a strip of woven steel about 10" wide by about 6 feet long, then rolled to the diameter and stuffed into the top of the pipe?

Last edited by md_massimino; 06-08-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Neillís Pompeii #4

md_massimino

Quote:
So your spark arrester is a strip of woven steel about 10" wide by about 6 feet long, then rolled to the diameter and stuffed into the top of the pipe?
It is actually expanded aluminium mesh, but being up so high, it doesn't get quite so hot and has lasted and looks like lasting many more years.
I have had some serious fires in the oven with flames rushing up the flue but never seen any sparks out the chimney top.
The oven and doorway with the 'floating steel surround and arch' is working well with no cracks at all. It also gives a great support for the adjustable hinge pivots which allow the cast aluminium doors to well seal the oven.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.