Old 08-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Journeyman

Default Concrete Landing Question

Question,

When pouring concrete to the front edge of the brick hearth should I put something between the brick and the concrete? Not sure about expansion that far out. If so, what? I'm thinking it's not necessary but wanted to check.

I do plan to put a thin bead of caulk around the edge where the concrete meets the oven.

Thanks
Dick
Attached Thumbnails
The Badger Build-oven-landing-0020001.jpg  
Old 08-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: The Badger Build

Dick,

I would play it safe and put something there. The expansion joint material they have for sidewalks / driveways would be butt ugly. I think I would drop in some foam, like you would use for packing items -it comes in around 1/8 inch. After the pour, you could easily melt it back for the caulking.

Just my two cents...

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Journeyman

Default The Badger Build (Poured the oven landing)

Gang,

Poured the oven landing Saturday. My neighbor who works in the concrete business brought home the edger and helped me out...

2 1/2 hours
4 bags of 80 lb and 1 "Buff" Quikcrete colorant per bag.
I did leave a gap between the brick and the concrete for expansion
I used the blue painters tape to keep everything level - worked great
We went with a rough texture for ease and "to keep beers from sliding off"

Overall I'm happy and more importantly the boss is happy as well. We really like the contrast between the cream color dome and the landing.

Thanks
Dick

I'll post pictures again once I take the forms off.
Attached Thumbnails
The Badger Build-oven-landing-0030001.jpg   The Badger Build-oven-landing-0040001.jpg   The Badger Build-oven-landing-0060001.jpg   The Badger Build-oven-landing-0050001.jpg   The Badger Build-oven-landing-0070001.jpg  

Old 08-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dick,
Again, Looks Great! More that anything, I really appreciate the fine work your wife did on the shape of the dome. Just went through that (still going throught that ) - not easy. Looks like you guy's nailed it. You're right about the contrast in color - good match.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Master Builder

Dick, very cool. I can't wait for you to pull the forms to see how this turns out!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice job!!

For what it's worth, I didn't leave a gap between my concrete and the vent floor bricks. My floor is unmortared so I think there are enough gaps to handle any expansion. So far no problems!

Updated!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks really good. I like the colors together. I'm still putting vermiculite concrete on my dome! Slow work with all the other things going on around here at the moment..

Old 09-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Journeyman

Default The Badger Build (forms off of the landing)

Gang,

Took the forms off around the landing. Still have some clean up and then to the stone veneer around the base.

We had a Labor Day pizza party with about 15 adults and 6 kids. We cooked 12 pizzas and two dessert pizzas.

Still getting the hang of hosting. What we’ve been doing is we make the dough and then we ask everyone to bring sauce, toppings and cheese. We then make a variety of pizzas for everyone to share.

One thing I’ve discovered is you have to have two people on pizza detail – one to “man” the oven and one to make the pizzas– it’s definitely a two person job when you host a large number of people. As I mentioned before I teach my neighbors how to work the peel which helps me out a lot…

Thanks
Dick
thebadger
Attached Thumbnails
The Badger Build-oven-landing-0090002.jpg   The Badger Build-oven-landing-0080001.jpg   The Badger Build-oven-landing-0120005.jpg   The Badger Build-oven-landing-0110004.jpg   The Badger Build-oven-landing-0100003.jpg  

Old 09-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Congrats Dick! The labor of love is paying off. Lookin good...

Les..

Old 09-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Master Builder

I really like the wrap around landing. I'm going to put that into my "idea" file. Does it go all the way around the back side too?