Old 01-02-2009, 03:19 AM
Journeyman

Default Using Granite

Has anyone used granite slab at the opening of their ovens? I have a nice piece that I would like to use but am unsure of the thermal characteristics (expansion/contraction.)

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:03 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Using Granite

I think some folks have used granite. It should be okay, especially on the outside of the oven. Should look nice.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Master Builder

I have a granite slab as a landing at the front of my WFO. My slab measures 63 long and 22 wide (approx measurements) and almost an 1nch thick. So far I have had no problems. However, I did my best to select a slab that had a uniform crystal size and that had no decernable cracks or faults. I think that success in this has alot to do with the individual slab selected. As for temperature and expansion I have had my slab so hot directly in front of the opening where radiant heat is high, that one could not touch the slab for even a short moment without wishing you had not. And at the same time quite cool to the touch at the extremes of each end.

I decided to simply anchor my slab very loosely using simply a thin layer of sand and fireclay so that it would be free to expand and contract as needed. It does make for a nice work surface upon which to place freshly baked bread and hot pizzas. Also if you select a polished surface one can see what is happening at the dome top by looking at the reflection. Here's a post with some photos that show the slab:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/3/st...html#post41508

Hope this helps.
Wiley
Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Master Builder

I have a small granite slab also. 6 inches wide it's just a ledge across the opening. I laid mine in a bed of mortar and butted it up against the firebrick in the opening.

It gets warm to the touch when using the oven but no hotter as none of it is actually inside the opening. note to self - seal the granite - its been more than 6 mos.....

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Journeyman

Thanks to all! I am going to do it as I really like the granite finish! But, first things first - got to set up the hearth pour for next week!

CW