Old 05-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Laborer

Default UK Pompeii & BBQ build

I've been posting on and off on here for a long time, and recently started construction of my Pompeii, which will also have a double BBQ to one side. It is a corner build.

Pic 1 - Area cleared of slabs

Pic 2 - Pouring the slab - damp course and rebar/mesh already in place

Pic 3 - Block work completed

Old 05-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Laborer

Default Re: UK Pompeii & BBQ build

Part II

Pic 4 - Block work, showing BBQ area to left

Pic 5 - Oven formwork in place - you can see the lintels spanning the woodstore if you look carefully, and the rebar / mesh in place.

Pic 6 - The oven slab poured

Old 05-06-2012, 05:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Great Start Faz!

Looks like a good location for you, and a good start...I like to see a plan come together!

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Laborer

Another update on progress over the last couple of weeks (well weekends anyway).

Slabs finished with vermicrete base poured for oven.

BBQ area slabs poured, ready for the BBQ to be built from brick above it.

My first arch - purely cosmetic rather than load bearing, as the lintel above is supporting the slab. The gap will be filled with brick pieces prior to applying render of the top.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Laborer

Finally started on the construction of the oven itself yesterday.

Hearth bricks laid out and marked up.

Hearth marked out - I dry laid the cut bricks on the hearth then used spray paint to mark the outline. (I only broke one of the bricks - if you look carefully you can see it )

Hearth bricks mortared in place and some of the soldier course in place. The soldiers are storage heater bricks cut lengthways with the thick end placed to the inside of the oven.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:32 PM
Laborer

Soldier course completed and quarry tiles fitted over the hearth bricks. I bedded the tiles on a very wet mix of fireclay/lime/sand/cement and then pushed a slurry in to the small gaps between the tiles using my fingers.

Now I just need to get my head round exactly how to do start the oven arch off - I can lay the bricks in a couple of different ways and I need to have a bit of a play around today to figure out what is the best way, especially as these bricks will take quite a lot of weight from the dome.

And finally, the reason why I hadn't been able to make much progress recently My stepson's Ministox, now sadly requiring quite a lot of work on the engine following a bit of a collision.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Are your bricks made from concrete?

The TC tiles will just crack from the sudden intense heat from a fire.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 06-03-2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Adding TC
Old 06-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Laborer

The bricks are a very dense refractory brick used in night storage heaters - these are heaters that heat up over night using cheap electricity and then release the heat during the day. The heaters have a 2kW electric element in them so I am pretty confident that they will withstand the temperature.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Fair enough but they look like concrete, never seen purple firebricks before Id be making doubly sure before you make all that effort in the build only to have the thing fail with the heat from a fire.
2Kw is not a great deal of energy in the terms of a wood fired oven (its only 8.3 amps at 240volts, thats not even enough to warm the fire bricks in an oven, but it will cook toast), plus there is no direct flame involved with a heat bank unlike an oven.

Have you got a sliced face of the brick to show us?

Last edited by brickie in oz; 06-03-2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Adding more info.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was also under the impression that heat banks used concrete to store the heat. As heat banks are not subject to high temps a quality refractory is not required. Those bricks certainly do look like concrete. If it were mine I'd be doing a little more research on those bricks. Alternatively you could continue the build, cross your fingers and find out once you jack the temp up.