Old 06-03-2013, 05:19 AM
Serf

Default Steel Stud Enclosure

I was wondering what gauge steel studs builders are using, I can only find 25 gauge at HD and Lowes. They seem real flimsy will these work they have no load rating?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Steel Stud Enclosure

Check the Yellow Pages for a commercial sheetrock contractor. There's one in my very small town; I was able to get 20ga. (side walls) and 18ga. (rafters) for cost + sourdough bread.

If you want more strength (for a large overhang on the front) you can nest a stud into a track to make a tube. I built for snow load and those 100-year storms that we're getting every 10 years or so
Old 06-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Woodworks View Post
I was wondering what gauge steel studs builders are using, I can only find 25 gauge at HD and Lowes. They seem real flimsy will these work they have no load rating?

Thanks,
Matt
I used a mix of some 20ga.(dumpster diving from a construction/demo site. And then I bought some 25 ga. from HD and when needed I just set the studs or rafters closer together or doubled them up back to back. I used these for walls and roof that I put cement board on and then the slate roof on top of the cement board. They seem flimsy until you start screwing them together.
Hope this helps
John

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

go to a pro builder hardware store. they will have 18ga. The 25ga are too small and really meant for indoor building

Old 06-09-2013, 05:08 AM
Serf

Thanks guys I did just what you recommended I went to Stock building supply and was able to get 18 gauge studs and track (big difference) also big difference in the cost of material. This once thought 1500 dollar project is nearing 5k and I don't even have the sides and roof on yet. I hope the pizza is good.

Matt