Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Journeyman

Default Starting my WFO in N. Carolina

Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-015-1-.jpgHad a nice weekend weather wise, so I went out and started scratching around at the build site. First on my agenda is moving this rock, then I have some digging to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 02-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Starting my WFO in N. Carolina

Gudday
I was going to suggest just rolling down the slope behind .... Then I noticed the carved squirrel in the way....Oooops!
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Old 02-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Journeyman

Hey Dave,
That'd be one way, but I guess the camera angle is funny. It's actually quite uphill. The carved squirrel, Mountain Dan, is watching over the project and will be the first to let me know when he thinks I'm nuts.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 02-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Call me lazy, but that would be an integral part of the oven right where it lays.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:09 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMan View Post
Hey Dave,
That'd be one way, but I guess the camera angle is funny. It's actually quite uphill. The carved squirrel, Mountain Dan, is watching over the project and will be the first to let me know when he thinks I'm nuts.
A blind squirrel even finds a nut!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Journeyman

Hey Lazy, err.....Tscarborough,
I honestly haven't even thought of that. Now ya got my gears a spinnin'. I like the way you think. It is at "about" the front left corner of the (future) foundation location right where she sits. Hmmm......time for a conference w/Mountain Dan.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Journeyman

I think I will indeed make it a part of the project, but still temporarily scoot it out of the way. But not far.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Journeyman

Got the rock temporarily scooted out of the way and did a bit of manual earthmover operation today. Will post more pics when I get the slab formed up.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting my WFO in N. Carolina-003.jpg  

Old 02-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

What was your question regarding the slab?

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 02-12-2014, 10:01 AM
Journeyman

No question at all. It is more a weather and time issue, more than anything else. I have plenty of experience w/concrete forming and pouring and it will be no problem at all. Still working on the exact size, but it will be a monolithic pour, minimum of 4" thick throughout, w/thickened edges at a minimum of 8", all four edges. I will use #4 (1/2") rebar throughout the slab, on approx. 1' centers, tied w/wire. Around the whole perimeter, at approx. 2" off the base I plan to beef it up w/2- #5's (5/8") rebar. The 5/8" rebar will be approx. 1/3 the total thickness of the slab off the ground. In other words, in the bottom third of the slab for maximum loadbearing effectiveness. The grid of #4's will be lifted up to approx. halfway in the 4" thick slab area. All this on a compacted (by hand) gravel base, covered by 6 mil poly placed prior to rebar install. I'll use a 3000 psi concrete mix, w/fibermesh, pea gravel mix. I am just going to have the concrete delivered. All this is just my preference and not meant to imply that someone doing it different is in any way wrong. It's just how I do it from experience and it has always served me well. When I pour the base slab, I will be adding some color hardener to the front "wood storage" area and "stamping" in some cobblestone while it's still in a plastic state. I have the coloring, a texture mat and plenty of release agent, so why not? It's the only spot that will be visible later, so I'll just do that small area when pouring and just leave the rest of the slab mag float finished. Once that "cobblestone" is hard for a day or so, it gets washed off, scrubbed a bit, let dry for a week or so, then get two coats of clear seal. I'll have to protect it during construction.

Tags
36" oven, decorative concrete, north carolina, stamped concrete, stonework