Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Laborer

Default Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven

I think I have pretty much read every post on this site and would like to start by thanking James and everyone in charge for keeping this site up and running. It is an invaluable resource for people like me trying to building an oven. Without everyone on this forum I would be completely lost as I have no mason\brick experience what-so-ever. So, on to the build...

I started this late last fall and thought I would post my progress. I have the pad and stand in, and I poured the bottom part of the hearth last night. I have a question I was hoping someone could answer.

I am only going to pour the 5:1 perlite\portland mixture in the area just under the oven\entry. I would like the surrounding edges and front to be solid concrete as I will be screwing metal studs to the hearth and want a solid foundation to screw into. Do you think it would be OK to cover the insulated portion of the hearth with a thin layer of regular concrete to keep everything perfectly smooth for the firebrick? I was thinking like 1\4-1\2".

Thanks, Scott...
Attached Thumbnails
Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven-smuth1.jpg   Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven-smuth2.jpg   Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven-smuth3.jpg   Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven-smuth4.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by smuth10; 05-06-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven

Scott - why not just screed it even with fireclay as recommended? Seems like a faster and easier approach.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Laborer

I am going to use the fire clay, but I was just trying to save myself from having to rip down 2x6 to 4" for the inside frame. If I only used a 2x4 I would only have 3 1\2" of insulation, so I think you are right, I am just going to go with 4" of insulation and use the fire clay to make it all level.

Les, I love your oven BTW. It looks great. I may have missed it, but do you have experience as a mason or with tile?

Last edited by smuth10; 05-06-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:00 PM

Yes, the fireclay/sand method has the advantage that your dry powder can be tamped down (or excavated) to get your firebricks just the way you want them.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would also be concerned that a 1/4 to 1/2 inch layer of concrete on top of the insulation would crack with the heat and end up making your floor uneven...

Good luck!
Drake

Old 05-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Laborer

That was my main concern. I was thinking of adding some hydrated lyme, but I think just using the fire clay would be best. Thanks for all of the input.

dmun, did you not add water to your fire clay mixture? is there an advantage to leaving the water out?

Old 05-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuth10 View Post
Les, I love your oven BTW. It looks great. I may have missed it, but do you have experience as a mason or with tile?
No just kind of picked it up by necessity. I sit in an office designing slot machines for my day job.

Les...

Old 05-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Laborer

Being that I am the new guy, I of course have an endless amount of questions.

I am pretty antsy to get going on this now that the weather is getting nice here in Michigan. How long did everyone wait for the bottom part of the hearth to dry before you poured the insulating layer on top? How long does that layer need to dry before you start laying brick?

Also, I am going to pickup the Heat Stop II I need. How many bags do you think I will need for the 36" oven? I was hoping to get away with 2. Especially at $65 a bag.

Signed, The new guy

Old 05-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Laborer

Les, any inside info on those slot machines???

Old 05-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuth10 View Post
Les, any inside info on those slot machines???
If I knew, my feet would be sticking out of the desert somewhere We have a pretty good random number generator. From there it depends where you play. I think Nevada has to pay back 83 or 87 percent (not sure). If you are on a cruise ship - no rules that I am aware of -they may be able to take 100%. In regard to your oven question - you can pour the insulating layer right after the slab. There was a time when that was recommended. Then I would play the waiting game for at least a week before I started stacking brick. Others that have gone that route may have better input.

Les...