Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Peasant

Default Refractory Bricks

I am ready to start the dome construction, but I am feeling a little uneasy about my refractory bricks. I bought them many years ago from a demolition of a glass blowing kiln. I have no idea how to determine if they are appropriate for an oven. They were manufactured Royal Gorge--I can't find any info about the company. Due to budget constraints I am hoping they are OK. Any thoughts? Also, what is the estimated amount of bricks for a tuscan style 36" oven?

Marty
Attached Thumbnails
Refractory Bricks-royal-gorge-brick.jpg  
Old 06-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Refractory Bricks

Hi Marty,

How much do they weigh and how large are they. A typical medium duty firebrick weighs about 8 lbs, so if your weight and size are consistent, you probably have the right density.

I think it would be hard to tell the duty rating on the bricks -- which depends on the composition, but really, you will be fine regardless. Medium duty is optimal, but even high duty bricks are OK. They get really hot and cool down a little faster, but your oven would still be fine.

You need about 180 bricks for the floor, dome and vent.
Enjoy!
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Would there be a concern if they were used in a glass kiln? I don't know if brick can absorb the lead or not. Just a thought.

Les....

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Peasant

I hadn't thought about the lead. I should probably look into that. The bricks are standard size 9 x 4.5 x 2.5 and weigh 7.5 lbs.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I will think about who to ask about glass and lead and get back to you. Otherwise, your bricks are looking good.
James

Old 06-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Peasant

I sent for a lead test kit from Lead Check. LeadCheck Swabs Industrial. I contacted several testing labs and they all expressed concern because lead becomes volatile at the oven temperatures. They also thought I should test the clay I will be using for mortar. Hopefully the tests will be negative and I can get on with this project.

Tags
brick, fire brick