Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Serf

Default Reclaimed over doors

Hello, this is my first post. I have been going over quite a bit of material and have decided to start on a pompeii oven this spring. One idea that I have thought of, which I haven't seen mentioned here, is a potential source for the oven door that I think some may want to look into. What I am thinking of using would be any number of reclaimed cast iron doors, commonly used on furnaces, coal/wood ovens, stoves, etc. Many have a flanged frame as well. You can even find new, inexpensive models used for chimney cleanouts and especially here in the Northeast, old coal chute hatches.

I realize that these probably do not offer the same insulating effect as many of the very nice home built doors that I have seen on this site, but the cast iron will retain heat good enough for my needs, and it offers a chance to add some great character.

Just a thought if you're about to begin construction soon.

I hope to post progress pics once I get underway, I have no masonry experience and I'm sure I will have questions. I'm planning to use a product called Versa-loc for the base, it's a stackable textured block that uses pins and adhesive instead of mortar - a time saver for sure, especially with a novice at the helm.