Old 09-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Serf

Default Pompeii Oven

I am planning to build a wood fired oven. I consider myself an inept brick layer.How difficult is it to build? should I go to a precast refactory dome instead?
Old 09-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am pretty sure that most people start this project with little or no brick laying skill (I know I did). You learn along the way, and frankly, it doesn't have to be perfect...

If you can afford the precast dome, it is sure easier as the stand itself is quite a lot of work. But then you don't get the "pride of authorship"...

Drake
Old 09-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Serf

Default Pompeii

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray
I am pretty sure that most people start this project with little or no brick laying skill (I know I did). You learn along the way, and frankly, it doesn't have to be perfect...

If you can afford the precast dome, it is sure easier as the stand itself is quite a lot of work. But then you don't get the "pride of authorship"...

Drake
Thanks Drake, I like authorship!I havent investigated all I need to, but I'm leaning toward a brick oven. Thganks Jack
Old 09-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Master Builder

Default Inept is ok

If you are beginning the project as an inept brick builder that's probably better than many of us who built a brick dome. I started the project with credentials of inept floor tiler, no brick experience. It takes more courage than skill. This forum and the wonderful Pompeii plans gave me all the information I needed.

Have fun!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:53 PM

I'm going crazy with my project, but so far, the stand is a lot more work than the oven. The deciding factor for me was that I wanted the look of the bricks inside my oven, rather than the smooth modular look.