Old 08-25-2009, 05:50 AM
Apprentice

Default Oven Floor Finish

I am currently in the process of closing up my oven dome and noticed a fair amount of mortar splatter on the floor of the oven. I've been scraping it off and then brushing the dust/sand and was wondering if I needed to do anything more aggressive to clean the floor. Should I wet sponge the floor or use a hose?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2009, 09:11 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Oven Floor Finish

DimTex,

I would scrape, and wet sponge the splatters.

Don't use a hose. One of the next tasks in building your oven is to get the water out of the masonry, and at this point you don't need to add that much water volume to that section of your oven.

You could use a grinder on the face of the brick, if the splatters are really bugging you. The grinder could leave marks in the brick.

However, the splatters won't effect the function of the oven, and will wear off with normal use over a short period of time. I think that I only scrapped and sponged the splatters and the inside of my oven looks just fine at this point.

JED
Old 08-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree with Jed.

You can use another brick to rub off the mortar. This works really well. Take care not to grind, sand or scrape your floor too much. This wears off the hard "factory" surface on the brick.

I used a vacuum to get rid of brick and mortar granules that I didn't want in my pizza.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Peasant

Trisodium phosphate (TSP) might work for you.