Old 10-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Laborer

Default NH Progress pictures

I decided to build the entry way arch and dome all at the same time. I couldn't visualize building the entry arch and then the dome. Everything is tied together so it is working so far. No forms except for the entry way. Cutting the bricks for tight seams is getting more complicated as things get tighter. A wedge started developing at the bottom so I am now trimming a little of the edge to reduce this to keep the joints tight.

My HF saw is still running but they are sending me a new motor. Mine wouldn't spin up fast enough to release the brake so I had to remove a spring. The HD blade is much thinner than the HF blade so it cuts quicker and quieter but doesn't track as true.

Happy with the progress so far. I'm not very experienced with the whole brick thing so it takes me a long time to do each course. No idea how someone could build the dome in a day...

Funny how the pictures make things look so bad, in person I think it looks much better.
Attached Thumbnails
NH Progress pictures-dscf3939-2.jpg   NH Progress pictures-dscf3941-2.jpg  
Old 10-17-2007, 07:29 PM

Default Re: NH Progress pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentcpa View Post
The HD blade is much thinner than the HF blade so it cuts quicker and quieter but doesn't track as true.
I've been through four blades so far. I found the original HF blade wore out way too quick - it didn't seem to have much diamond in the rim. I had the best luck with the HD smooth generic tile blades, I got good quick cuts, and more longevity with those. I now have the yellow Dewalt blade on the machine. I think it has a finer grit diamond. It doesn't seem to cut nearly as fast.

Quote:
Funny how the pictures make things look so bad, in person I think it looks much better.
Don't talk it down. Your dome looks GREAT.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Master Builder

Hi Gentcpa,

I think your dome and arch are looking great! We are just getting ready to lay our floor in the next day or two and start on our dome and I'm somewhat nervous about this part of things. Glad to see someone who's not experienced can do such a good job - makes me feel like I can do it too .
Hope to see more photos!

Sarah
Old 10-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Laborer

Thanks

I did most of that with the Home Depot $40 blade. It was still cutting well at the end but it was oscillating badly enough at the end that I was worried about it breaking. The HF blade tracks much better on the edge cuts. I was hoping that it would last the rest of the project but that might be unrealistic. I'm hoping the saw holds let alone the blades. Glad I read up on the saws here as I was going buy one of the $77 HD 7" tile saws. There is no way I would have had as much success with a smaller saw.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Laborer

Sarah:

Thanks, good luck and yes you can do it.

I was nervous about it as well, still am. I read a ton of posts and followed along with Les and Ken's progress. If you are going to taper the bricks buy the Harborfreight saw (or an equivalent as I see you are in Canada), despite the motor issue (which they are correcting) it has been well worth the investment and freedom from rentals or something that is too small.

Take your time and lay out each course before you start mortaring. Also soak the bricks until they stop fizzing before you mortar them. I added an earlier picture so you can see how I laid out the course before using mortar. I often adjusted some of the bricks and then numbered them so they would go down as expected. I chose to taper to reduce the mortar required and I also felt it would be easier to consistently cut a taper than to use shims.

Julian
Attached Thumbnails
NH Progress pictures-dscf3888-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Gentcpa; 10-17-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Master Builder

Thanks Julian - everything you are saying sounds like good advice. We're still sorting out the details and you hit on two of them - what saw to use (will likely be stuck with renting) and whether to taper or shim (saw choice may answer that one for me).
The photo really illustrates what you mean. Hopefully I'll have some dome photos of my own to post soon.
Good luck with the rest!

Sarah
Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sarah - you should really consider buying a saw. You will be spending many hours pushing brick through it and renting is going to cost a small fortune.

Just my opinion (but I respect it )

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:47 AM
Laborer

Sarah

Buying the saw vs renting or a cheap 7" was the best decision I made. I know when I bought the saw I had second thoughts, I haven't since then. This thing takes a long time to put together. The saw might be useful for finishing the exterior in the future and I have some bathrooms that I want to redo in tile so it becomes easier to justify the purchase. Just overall takes the pressure off of having to get it done quickly and who cares if it takes 5 or more cuts to get that brick to fit just so. Plus it is pretty tiring work to be perched up on top of the oven putting it together so the flexibility of taking a break and doing something else without worrying about a rental return is huge.

I did see a post where someone had bought a saw from a Canadian company that looked equivalent in price and utility to the US based HF tool, so look around.

Just trying to help.

Julian
Old 10-20-2007, 06:56 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentcpa View Post
Cutting the bricks for tight seams is getting more complicated as things get tighter. A wedge started developing at the bottom so I am now trimming a little of the edge to reduce this to keep the joints tight.
Hi Julian,

I wonder if my thread at http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...tilt-2802.html (Twist and Tilt) might help here? (If we're talking about the same wedge!)

Cheers, Paul.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Laborer

Paul,

That is a very clever way of tampering and cutting the bricks. That is the exact wedge that I was trying to explain. I have just been eyeballing it brick by brick at this point, which has obviosly slowed me down to certain degree.

I will try this tomorrow.

Thanks

Julian