Old 11-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Serf

Default Need design advice please

I am moving into a new house and plan on building a 36" Pompei. I have been trolling FB site for years and last year I built a "temporary" barrel vault oven that worked but was awful at retaining heat due to all the gaps and minimum mortar used. What was great is that I was able to disassemble it in 25 minutes and move the bricks to the new house. What I need from the Forum today is some design advice. The house I am moving to has an outdoor BBQ/fireplace that I want to incorporate into the oven design. I was thinking to use it as the chimney for the oven. My question to you is: will convection still be efficient if I have air coming in the front AND exiting out the back, or will the hot air be lost through the chimney? If it is an acceptable installation option, where should I place the exhaust opening to the chimney, and any advice on how to join the pompei oven to the existing oven to be used as a chimney? Thank you for any advice.
[IMG]
_DSC3252 by erikschneider5, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Serf

Default Re: Need design advice please

seems like this got buried. I contemplated this same situation with a friend and concluded there is no way to encompass the existing chimney into a new WFO build.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have seen ovens that use what is called a "beaver tail" chimney design - where the flue curves back over the top of the oven. You could probably rig something like that up to make it work. Aesthetics may be another issue - but I imagine you could probably use stucco to make it look pretty good

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/b...one-14918.html (Beaver Tail Oven anyone?)
Need design advice please-oven86.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Serf

I had thought about that chimney design, but hadn't seen it done before, Thanks. I wonder if I can use metal exhaust pipe with bends to exit in chimney?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:32 AM
Serf

Please look to the huge 81" WFO build on this forum. That huge oven has a centered chimney like the oven you described.

It works great (according the owner who's using it as a commercial oven!!)

Kind regards,

Erwin
Old 11-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Journeyman

Personally, I dont think it is a good idea. The chinmey located in the rear will create a huge draw of air from the fromt opening, across your fire and out the back.....I dont think you will capture and retain much heat in your oven plus you will burn through a lot of wood.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Journeyman

I do like the beavertail design however....make sure your chimney opening is exta-large to account for extra flow-losses.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeppiper View Post
Personally, I dont think it is a good idea. The chinmey located in the rear will create a huge draw of air from the fromt opening, across your fire and out the back.....I dont think you will capture and retain much heat in your oven plus you will burn through a lot of wood.
Do a google for beaver tail chimney, the flue exit is located at the front of the oven.