Old 04-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Apprentice

Default Locating the arch????

I'm laying out the floor on my oven - and am marking where I think the arch / opening should be located. I've seen pics of folks that have the arch too far our - and the dome has to "reach" out to the arch.

Is there a rule of thumb for locating the opening / arch? If I'm building a 42" oven with a 20" opening - do I just locate the opening where the 20" intersects the 42" diameter oven wall?

Here's a plan I found where the 20" opening is still set back a bit into the oven:

Here, in Dino's oven - the 20" opening seems to be set outside of the 42" oven diameter:

is there a preferred location? Has anyone seen any pitfalls associated with locating it in a particular place?

Feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Locating the arch????

You are right. If the entry is fairly deep you have way more trouble in working the oven. I believe that if you have decent funneling to the flue pipe then you can make the entry not very deep at all. In my case I made the entry only 5" deep, but my oven is only 21" diam with a 5" flue pipe.I also made the oven mouth quite wide to make it easier to work The disadvantage is probably that more heat is lost through the door. I also placed the entry actually inside the oven diameter too. Works ok. every design change is a compromise. It's like boat design.

Last edited by david s; 04-25-2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Thought of more.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Im sure its all about dome to arch height that determines where the arch goes? But I could be wrong.

I did a rough drawing about it for another thread, Ill see if I can find it.

The other thread is here. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/teardrop-15579.html (Teardrop)
Attached Thumbnails
Locating the arch????-teardrop-3.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-25-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Im sure its all about dome to arch height that determines where the arch goes?
I think that would be the main determining factor.

By sketching out the dome profile you will more clearly be able to see where the arch top meets the dome and perhaps place the arch there, although this approach may not give you the exact opening width you want to end up with, but close.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 04-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Journeyman

If you are going by the plans, than you want to draw it all out to see how your dome will intersect with the arch.

You should read the Teardrop thread, This is what I didn't know. Or check out my build Round shape to see how I am working with my arch being too far out (I was using the plans as my guidelines for the size of the opening).

Mike
Old 04-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Apprentice

one would think, though, that there would be a good, approximate location for the arch. Given the relatively standard oven opening (for the 42" Pompeii) - the intersecting point should be pretty standard. At least it would get you in the ball park.

okay - I haven't messed with SketchUp in a while - I just downloaded it and threw this together. Does this look right? 42" radius dome, 20" dome height, 12" arch height. The inside edge of the arch should be 4 1/2" inside of the inside wall of the oven. That would make the top of the arch meet the inside edge of the dome where they intersect.

Is it more difficult than that?
Attached Thumbnails
Locating the arch????-archlocation.jpg  
Old 04-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post

Is it more difficult than that?
Nah thats it.

Underside of arch to intersect the underside of the dome no matter the size of oven or arch.
If you mess with 1 dimension you have to mess with the other.

I cant see opening width being a factor, height yes.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-27-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The wider the arch the greater the heat loss, but the access to the oven is improved.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Laborer

For what it's worth, my dome is 39.5"W at the bottom, dome Height 19.5", opening width 19" and opening height 12". As you may be able to see from the attached, I used a dome template made of plywood. It allowed me to radiate from the center point of the floor to see how the dome would progress from any angle. I just set the inner arch where I wanted it to intersect with the dome, if that makes sense.

PhotoPlog - Dome and Floor
Old 04-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I cant see opening width being a factor, height yes.
Within limits, I agree, depending on arch geometry. One can see in the diagram below that a hemispherical arch that is moderately wider than a vertical-sided arch would still retain more upper-dome heat. I would not define smoke/hot-gas exhaust as heat loss, rather a function of the normal aspiration of an oven based on its inner-arch geometry.

Further, the frontal profile of the hemispherical-entryway suggests that it may create an easier task to merge the dome to the inner-arch. Granted, per the FB plans, the vertical-sided inner arch is less daunting in its initial construction requirements, but IMHO, I believe the hemi-arch solves many transition problems (including arch location) and results in a stronger, symmetrical arch that requires no buttressing.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Locating the arch????-arch-comparison.jpg   Locating the arch????-inside-arch.jpg   Locating the arch????-badger-dome-arch-tie-.jpg   Locating the arch????-completed-inner-arch.jpg   Locating the arch????-8th-course-overhead.jpg