Old 10-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Journeyman

Default Joe's Kaysville Utah Oven

Now that I'm cooking pizza (I should say trying -- we're not very good at it yet), I decided I better document the build process before I forget it all. I may build another one someday. And I can't think of a better place to document it than here. It will also give me a chance to thank all of those whom I copied. I'll try to note as I go who gave me which ideas, but I'm sure I won't get them all. And others may be able to learn from some of the dumb things I did.

Joe
Old 10-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Joe's Kaysville Utah Oven

Planning Process. I lurked on the site for a few months, then joined a year and a half ago, started the foundation last summer, and I'm still working on the enclosure. It doesn't look like that will be done before the snow comes.

My wife cooks great bread in the oven inside, so I wanted a WFO that we could use for bread as well as pizza. I thought about adding mass, but concluded that others have had plenty of success with the mass of half bricks. So we settled on a 42 inch oven with a 21 inch height. Of course those are inside diameters.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Journeyman

Foundation. Here on the Wasatch Front, my neighbor and concrete master told me we needed a footing 34 inches down to be below the frost line. So we dug footings 16 inches wide and 12 inches deep, followed by two courses of concrete block and 6 inches of slab. I'm sure that's all over-kill. But what's the point if you don't overdo it?

My neighbor concrete guy has a small backhoe that he tows on the back of his truck. His grandsons dug the foundation for me with that. That saved an enormous amount of work, because digging in the heavy clay out here on the flats east of the Great Salt Lake is not fun.

I need to figure out how to post pictures.

Joe
Old 10-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Journeyman

Footing. I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture. If this works, it should be a picture of the footing. The footing was 16 inches wide by 12 inches deep. I framed it on the inside with a 2x6. I wanted a frame to make it square and level. I should have used something bigger than 2x6 because the dirt was loose enough that it was hard to keep it from flowing under the form. And then it was hard to get the form out after it cured. We used six bag concrete from a U-haul place. If I understand it right, that means 6 bags of portland per cubic yard. 6 bag makes the concrete a bit stronger. We put 2 pieces of 1/2 inch rebar parallel to each other down each side of the footing with a 2 foot piece of rebar in each corner. Then we put a one foot piece of rebar to fit within one core of each concrete block.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Master Builder

Definately sounds like you're on the right track.

Getting the foundation and base was the hardest part for me.

There is a manage attachments button below the editing window - there you can attach pics (if they are not too big). Use the browse button to locate the files on your computer and upload.

I think jpg files have the largest size limit - so if you have a choice, use that format.

I just saw your pic in the photo area. You can link pics here, too

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Journeyman

Slab. After the footing cured (I believe I gave it a couple of days), I dry laid two courses of concrete block. 5 on the sides and 4 1/2 on the ends. I filled the courses with the re-bar in them with Quickcrete that I mixed in a wheel barrow. To make it closer to the 6 bag mix in the footing, I hadded a shovel of portland to each bag of Quickcrete. After pouring in the concrete, I added a piece of rebar long enough to reach half way into the 5 1/2 inch slab. On the top course of the concrete block, I used the ones with the ends open and laid re-bar in the channel and tied it to the re-bar coming up from the footings, figuring that it would tie the slab to the foundation wall a bit better. Again, overkill. Then I framed the foundation slab with 2x6s and laid rebar to match the rebar coming up from the foundation.

We'll see if the picture works this time.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Joe's Kaysville Utah Oven-dscn0797.jpg  
Old 10-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Journeyman

That conduit coming up out of the slab is for electricity. We plan to have lights shining down on the cooking area, as well as an outlet.

Joe
Old 10-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Journeyman

I can't find a picture of the slab. I had lost my job last summer and it looked like we might have to move, so my spiritual and financial advisor and wife of nearly 30 years suggested I stop with the slab until we knew where we were going to live. To pour the slab we again used 6 bag mix, and I let my concrete master friend pour it for me.

Joe
Old 10-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Journeyman

After the snow cleared, I dry laid the concrete block on the foundation slab. Rather than have a single large wood storage area, I put an opening on both ends and put a row of concrete block down the middle to separate the two storage areas and to provide a bit more support. We decided to cantilever a landing similar to Ken's. We used concrete board as the ceiling of the wood storage areas to avoid having to frame them with plywood. We cut the concrete board to fit just inside the cores of the concrete block, so it had a couple of inches of concrete block to support it. We also used 2x4 with another piece forming a T on top to support the middle of the concrete board. I did have to frame the cantilever.

I bought a new camera a earlier this year, so the pictures are all too big to upload. As soon as I figure out the right size to re-size them to on my Mac, I'll post some more. This one is kind of small, but it lets you see the stand and the hearth slab framing viewed from the front of the oven.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Joe's Kaysville Utah Oven-img_0378.jpg  
Old 10-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Serf

Cool nice start , all the best for the rest of the build...