Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Journeyman

Default I'm getting closer to my Dome!

Well winter is waning in Ct. and it looks like I will be starting to work on the hearth floor and dome soon! Yahoo!!!!!!!!!! I have been spending many winter days reading the post of past builds and admiring the fantastic job everyone on this forum has done. I have no masonry skills, so I am at a huge deficit in the talent department. The builds I have seen here are truly magnificent, if I can achieve anything close I will be happy and hopefully my doubting wife will like it too! I have my stand built from last fall and amazingly enough, it made it through this wild winter! No cracks, no splits, no frost heaving, it made it through because of all the info on this forum! Thank you thank you thank you all!
Now I have read many, many, many posts about domes, vent transitions (which reading about those has put the fear of Zeus in me) and insulation etc.
My first question (of many future ones) I do not have a clear picture of the thermal break between the oven and the flue/front brick work. I am so clueless, I don't know if the thermal break is between the dome and the flue, or from the flue out to the entrance landing?
Here is a pic of the stand from last fall and hopefully soon it will be warm enough to start the dome without freezing temps at night.
Thanks in advance!
John
Attached Thumbnails
I'm getting closer to my Dome!-img_1838sml.jpg   I'm getting closer to my Dome!-img_1839sml.jpg   I'm getting closer to my Dome!-img_1836sml.jpg  

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:26 AM

Default Re: I'm getting closer to my Dome!

Quote:
My first question (of many future ones) I do not have a clear picture of the thermal break between the oven and the flue/front brick work.
This is something that's fairly new in oven building. My oven doesn't have one, and I'm not convinced of it's utility. It's hard to do without exposed insulating material, which isn't a good idea.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Journeyman

With the posts I read, I was thinking (sometimes never a good thing) that an incomplete thermal break of a 1/2" with a thermal bridge of less than an inch could be a good compromise. I did read of the thousand year old roaches and melted cheese posts. I'll see if I could draw this out, to maybe make it clearer.
Here is a one dimensional view, which takes care of the front to back thermal slow down. Making the bridge smaller will I think slow down the escape of heat to the out side, uninsulated sections. At least that is what I am hoping to accomplish! LOL
Attached Thumbnails
I'm getting closer to my Dome!-thermalbreak-copy.jpg  

Photos:

Oven Blog:

Last edited by Aegis; 03-12-2011 at 07:00 AM. Reason: add drawing
Old 03-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"I don't know if the thermal break is between the dome and the flue, or from the flue out to the entrance landing? "

You don't really "need" a thermal break. I put one in to keep the temperature of my landing/counter top area down. If you are going to add a thermal break to your design, it can go either before or after the flue opening. In mine, the flue opening is full width and is part of the thermal break. The side thermal break is achieved by a 2 1/2 inch thickness of insulating firebrick, the floor thermal break is a 1 inch wide ash drop, again full width.

For your detail, I suggest you use insulating firebrick instead of the gap you show. Local pottery/kiln makers will probably give you the four bricks or so you will need for nothing (if you ask them politely). They are always taking down and rebuilding their kilns and often have odds and ends lying around.

Last edited by Neil2; 03-12-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is the thermal break Im doing on my current build.
The flue will have a thermal break too, I need to cut a fire brick to go over the lintel which Ill do today.

My build.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f44/...two-15241.html (Oven number two..)
Attached Thumbnails
I'm getting closer to my Dome!-thermal-break1.jpg   I'm getting closer to my Dome!-thermal-break2.jpg   I'm getting closer to my Dome!-thermal-break3.jpg  

Old 03-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
"I don't know if the thermal break is between the dome and the flue, or from the flue out to the entrance landing? "

You don't really "need" a thermal break. I put one in to keep the temperature of my landing/counter top area down. If you are going to add a thermal break to your design, it can go either before or after the flue opening. In mine, the flue opening is full width and is part of the thermal break. The side thermal break is achieved by a 2 1/2 inch thickness of insulating firebrick, the floor thermal break is a 1 inch wide ash drop, again full width.

For your detail, I suggest you use insulating firebrick instead of the gap you show. Local pottery/kiln makers will probably give you the four bricks or so you will need for nothing (if you ask them politely). They are always taking down and rebuilding their kilns and often have odds and ends lying around.
Thanks for the advice,although I do not have the ash drop(which I hope I won't miss too much!) I will try and find some insulating firebrick.
Thanks
John

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 03-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Here is the thermal break Im doing on my current build.
The flue will have a thermal break too, I need to cut a fire brick to go over the lintel which Ill do today.

My build.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f44/...two-15241.html (Oven number two..)
Great pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am thinking,(ok, I know if you don't think too good ,don't think too much!) that the insulating firebrick will be a good bottom and side break. For the bottom of the flue chamber, I will set some foamglass for a thermal break and then continue up with flue and brick work. Not sure if I can do that, but if that is not possible then the insulating brick will have to do. I am just thinking that heat love to travel up and the foamglas may afford more resistance towards that love of heat rising.
Thanks for the pics and you build is looking great!
John

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
I will set some foamglass for a thermal break
Whats foamglass?
Im in Oz and we dont get a hell of a lot of variety in products here for some reason.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Whats foamglass?
Im in Oz and we dont get a hell of a lot of variety in products here for some reason.
It is called Foamglas from Pittsburg corning, I am using it as the 4" insulating layer under the hearth. FOAMGLAS®, ecological cellular glass thermal insulation systems for durable solutions in building, HVAC installations and industry, produced by Pittsburgh Corning. Great stuff I hear from others that have used it. It is a foam insulation made from glass, as I understand it, glass containing millions of bubbles filled with co2 so when you scracth it, it smells like rotten eggs. But compresion strength and insulation properties are excellent. ( I hope)

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 03-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Journeyman

Anyone in New England, know where to get roofing slate in Conn. I understand both Vermont and upstate New York have companies in the Rutland VT. area. But shipping one square ( I will be needing 100 square feet coverage) is cost prohibitive I would think. Please, All ideas and leeds are welcome!
Thanks
John

Photos:

Oven Blog:

Last edited by Aegis; 03-13-2011 at 04:58 AM.