Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 04:14 AM
Peasant

Default Filling the gaps with mortar

Ok some I'm a newbie and have just finished the dome (see my build Scotty 36 sunshine coast, Australia) I'm not a master brick layer, I'm a helicopter pilot. Some of my joins on the oven side are not ideal, not terrible maybe 5mm gap here and there, can I just climb inside and use the same mortar to fill the gaps from the inside? I'm using a mix of fire clay/cement/lime/sand so far to stick the dome together. I have heard that cement can break down under xtreame heat, so would my planed mix work?!?
The mix is 10 sand/6 fire clay/3 lime/2 cement.
Thanks
Scotty
Old 01-25-2012, 04:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Filling the gaps with mortar

The consensus seems to be that any breakdown of the Portland cement is compensated for by the lime.
The usual mix is sand, fireclay, lime, cement 3:1:1:1 Your brew is pretty close, but has more fireclay. Too much clay can create excessive shrinkage, but you should be ok.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Serf

question about the heat could a person add more lime to the mix maybe like
3:1:2:1 to help with the heat more ?????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Old 11-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Serf

Hi, I have just closed the dome on my 37-in Pompeii, and notice some mighty large gaps in the inside joints. Did you end up filling them, (I'm using refractory mortar), and if so, how? Did it work out well? Appreciate any responses!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
I had the same and couldn't help myself and disregarded good advice and crawled in and patch a small section. They were right it didn't work and fell out.
Just live with it,its a dome and is strong for that reason not pretty brickwork.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Old 11-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Serf

Thanks Dave...are you sure?? I don't know if I can stand it. These are some pretty big gaps. Thought I'd use a pastry bag or a huge syringe to squish some mortar in...sigh...
Old 11-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Journeyman

So Scotty,

I have to ask! What's harder?

Flying a helicopter or building a wood fired oven?
Old 11-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool Re: Filling the gaps with mortar

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinwham View Post
Thanks Dave...are you sure?? I don't know if I can stand it. These are some pretty big gaps. Thought I'd use a pastry bag or a huge syringe to squish some mortar in...sigh...
Gudday

Filling the gaps with mortar-image.jpg

No one sees it anyway so you will learn to live with it. And because you introduced some some stress relief points you shouldn't get any cracks!
Only the real tight builds seem to gets visible cracks
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 11-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Serf

OK Dave, I don't feel so bad (although I think your "inside" looks better than mine). My concern was heat retention without all the gaps full of mortar. But clearly, you're the boss here...nice "white" dome! I can't wait to fire the oven up (not quite there yet...)!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Master Builder

I'm a little bemused by gaps, especially when using the homebrew.
Why don't people just butter the brick with so much mortar that when they set it in place the excess squeezes out through the gaps, then scrape the excess off with the trowel as they go? Worked for me.
Only time I see this not working is if the dome is built on a sand form instead of using an IT
brickie in oz and GarnerAC like this.