Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

I've done it: No longer a poser or forum lurker, I've actually made real progress! I would not have had the confidence if it were not for all you forum members I've asked questions to or read up on your ovens or advice.

I have dug footings, installed rebar and poured my foundation for oven base.

Here are some stats on what I've done and why:
4 1/2 concrete blocks wide by 5 blocks deep. (those are 8x8x16 CMU concrete blocks. That's a pad I framed out at 82"x76"

It has 12" wide footings and 16" depth with the center pad area at 4"-5" deep with 1/2" rebar at the bottom (2), top and approx 12" squares across the top. All was placed on 2" dobee blocks to lift it off the ground.

It came to 1 1/2 yards plus 2 60lbs bags of concrete for the whole base. I found a place a few miles away from my home with a "You-Haul-It" concrete cart service I just hooked up to my light truck and drove home. Between the 2 of us and 1 laborer, it took under 3 hours. I was too nervous to float it or edge it thinking I would ruin it so its just a flat, level, screeded pad.

Also, I put vertical rebar in the 4 corners and then inserted (after screading) a few more vertical pieces so MOST concrete blocks have steel in them that is already attached to the footing. The rest will be filled with concrete later and steel just placed in there but eventually all tied together. Electrical conduit is put in for hooking up the future lights.

We feel like proud parents watching our concrete cure while our muscles spasm with joy (or soreness) at our progress. What a way start off the new year!

Question, how long should I wait until I start dry-stacking my blocks? It may take me a few days to pick them all up but I don't want to move too quickly. Plus the muscles really do need the rest.

Thanks to everyone, Dino

P.S.: I'm trying to get the Picasa web album linked up, so this will be my test to see if it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-framed-foundation.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-screading-4-rebar-corners.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-foundation-poured-finished.jpg   Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts-me-pushing-concrete.jpg  

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts

Dino!

Looks like an excellent start. Nice deep foundation and plenty of rebar.

I look forward to following your build. Thanks for the pics!

Not sure if it was the right thing to do, but we dry stacked the foundation the day after we poured the foundation slab and filled the cores. After that (I think) we took a day off for a British car show and then poured the hearth. Probably a bit agressive, but it was all static loads and when you think of the area that it covers - it seemed reasonable to me.

My suggestion is listen to your muscles and take your time.

Christo
Rbhumbert likes this.

Last edited by christo; 01-04-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Journeyman

Dino,
Everything looks great! There should be no problem installing your block as soon as you get it. I'm sure you'll be anxious to get it going ASAP. As we have all figured out, its very addicting once you get going. Keep the pix coming.
Mark
Old 01-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Journeyman

Dino,

Your work looks great!

Keep the process fun, and start planning the first pizza party, it won't be long now..

JED
Old 01-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Laborer

It looks like a great start. I can't wait to watch the progress.

Ellie
Old 01-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks good, Dino! It's so exciting when you break ground and get that slab going. I actually was dreaming about it every night. (obviously I need more of a life, I know!)

You're on the way!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Serf

So far so good! I'll be along for the ride. Keep posting progress!
Old 01-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Master Builder

Hey Dino, it looks great. But a quick question...What is that white pipe thing projecting out of the ground in the area I am assuming will be behind the finished WFO?

Wiley
Old 01-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Master Builder

Dino. You've done your research. I'm sure it will be great! I'm looking forward to following this build!

Good luck.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thank Everyone!
It is very exciting and now that the soreness has kinda subsided, I see how addicting the whole thing can be. In fact, after work, I'll skip the gym and instead make a partial concrete block pick up at home depot. I figure picking up the blocks, transferring to the truck bed, then stacking in the back yard will be a core work out better than a Pilates class.

And Wiley, the low white plastic pipe is my water main regulator for my back yard pipes. It will be completely behind the oven. The slab is 3'-2" from that side yard wall. There is a hose bib to the left of the slab and I plan to store my garden hose (maybe) in the side opening of the oven. The oven will NOT be an igloo style but a roofed enclosure at over 6' tall and it will hide whatever is back there.

Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread