Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 06:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Concrete Counters

With all the great builds past, present and future, there is a natural evolution to "raise the bar" so to speak. WFO builders on this Forum are innovating, experience and creative, using new or reusing old materials in ways not thought of even a year ago. So with the encouragement of one of mentors during my build (Lburou aka Lee), I decided to build a thread and album that focuses on "concrete counters" whether they be hard troweled or wet polished or who know what someone will think of.

I myself am in the middle of doing a polished concrete counter with crushed glass. There are others at various stages on counter top construction. So as I develop this thread, please let me know of other builders I may have missed so I can incorporate their experience and ideas into this thread. Just the start.

I catergorized concrete counters/decorative pouring into several areas:

Polished Concrete
Amac - Ireland - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/39...tml#post136389 (39" Stargate Pompeii)
Deejayoh - Seattle - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/st...tml#post138209 (Starting new 36" build)
Nic the Landscaper - Oregon
Splatgirl - Minnesota
WHo - Australia - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...ild-17653.html (33" WFO South Australia build)
Neil2 - Vancouver Island - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/f...html#post20897 (Flying Saucer)

Troweled Concrete
Steel and Stone - Nashville -
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...tml#post139503 (Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build)
Texman - Texas - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/te...tml#post142209 (Texman Build)
Tscaburough - Texas - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/b...tml#post113069 (It is begun)

Outside the Box Concrete
Gulf - Mississippi - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/mi...-17062-26.html (Mississippi 44")
Steve - North Carolina - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...tml#post105389 (36" Pompeii oven in North Carolina)
Stonecutter - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/m...tml#post148709 (My Wood fired Redux)

For those without links I am working on them and will edit soon. This is a preliminary list and all comments and links are welcome. My picassa link now has a sub album of pictures I have taken of my concrete counter build.
Lburou likes this.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 01-12-2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Updated Links 1.14
Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Concrete Counters

Doug,

Thanks for the info. Think you are right and that's why the thread was started. The thread is a work in progress and any input is always welcome. PS, started gutting the remaining junk out of blanket heater to set it up as my proofer.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 01-09-2014, 07:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russell, did you find the tools necessary to accomplish this concrete polishing online? Which tools did you use? This is a useful thread!

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lee,

The only thing I purchased online was the wet grinder and polishing discs and concrete coloring. Everything else was locally sourced, ie concrete mix, ladder wire, add mix. I would have to stress there are some wet grinders on sale through the "E" company but they are not GFI protected and although cheaper, not worth the risk. I need to update the thread with some of the 2013 WFO builds with concrete counters.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 01-09-2014, 08:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am going to pour a 2.5" counter for an outside cabinet within a few weeks. It will have a marbling technique that might interest you.
Gulf likes this.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 01-09-2014, 12:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Stonecutter,

Your build thread is already linked to the "concrete counter" thread so anything you do with the marbling is going to be linked. I will be interested to see your results.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 01-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I am going to pour a 2.5" counter for an outside cabinet within a few weeks. It will have a marbling technique that might interest you.
Thanks Utah for putting this thread together.

I'm in the infant stages of planning my concrete counter tops. I look forward to seeing your marbling technic and following the threads. Will that be a pour in place or cast upside down?

I want to cast a 2" upside down its seams that it would be a little easier to form, especially for a pretty much a rectangle. The same size on both sides of my oven. One side will have a under mount sink opening. Can I use the same form for both? What is the minimum width of the concrete needed around the sink?

The counter in front off my oven will be quite complex It might be better to cast in place.

KB

Old 01-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Upside down.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 01-11-2014, 05:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Thanks Utah for putting this thread together.

I'm in the infant stages of planning my concrete counter tops. I look forward to seeing your marbling technic and following the threads. Will that be a pour in place or cast upside down?

I want to cast a 2" upside down its seams that it would be a little easier to form, especially for a pretty much a rectangle. The same size on both sides of my oven. One side will have a under mount sink opening. Can I use the same form for both? What is the minimum width of the concrete needed around the sink?

The counter in front off my oven will be quite complex It might be better to cast in place.
A one and a half inch counter is sufficient for strength, and would be much easier to flip. From what you described, you can use the form for both sides. But, that will be days apart on separate pours. You will need to take precise notes if you are mixing in color to make sure they match.

I agree with Stoncutter. To be a perfect match to the counters, the counter in front of your oven will need to be an upside down also. Don't let it's complex shape scare you. Take a piece of 1/4" luan (or cardboard even) and make a template. Turn it over and make your form to fit the template .

Old 01-11-2014, 06:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

No matter the thickness of the counter, don't overlook full support underneath it.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin