Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Serf

Default Colorado oven

I am not sure if this variation of the "indispensible tool" has been used before. I offset the second rotational axis so I could determine the oven diameter separately from the dome height. In my case the oven diameter is 42" and the dome height will be 19". With this solution I don't have to make any changes in the length of the arm with each course in order to lower the dome height.

I'm on the 7th course above the soldiers and it is working well so far.

Mark

Old 08-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Colorado oven

nice brickwork!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:04 AM
Master Builder

Very nice work! Did you use a different jig to finish aligning the rest of the courses?

Funny, I thought of this very same idea just yesterday and was wondering if anyone else had done this. It obviously worked well for you so I'll most likely be using this exact same method.

Thank you!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Serf

Thanks fxpose. I used the same jig all the way to the top without any changes. I finished closing the dome a few days ago and am now finishing the entry. I'm happy with how the jig worked

I'll take some more photos soon so you can see how I closed the dome. The options for closing the dome change a little by offsetting the one axis (does that make sense?). Eleven courses left me with a 10 inch diameter opening at top that I closed as you can see in a future photo that I will post.

Mark
Old 08-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Offsetting the axis like that means you have produced a shape close to an ellipse.

Very clever.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Serf

Here is the dome at the 11th course and after it was closed completely. As a consequence of offsetting my tool axis, it was better for me to close the top with a flat bottomed plug rather than continuing with the curve of the dome.

This technique allowed my to compensate for the thickness of the protective plywood on the floor as well as the height of jig base and still lower the dome height below the radius of the oven base--all without any changes to the jig for the entire build. In my case the oven base is 42" and the dome height ended up as planned at 19".

Attached Thumbnails
Colorado oven-11th.jpg   Colorado oven-dometop.jpg  
Old 08-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Master Builder

Wow....talk about precision. Nicely formed dome, and I love the the way you capped it off.
Thanks for posting!
Old 08-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Journeyman

beautiful!!!
Old 09-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Serf

Here are some updated photos.

I poured in place a vent transtion in castable refractory. I used a simple luan jig to imbed 4 stainless steel bolts in the proper alignment to fasten the DuraTech anchor plate.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Colorado oven-ventform.jpg   Colorado oven-ventformclose.jpg   Colorado oven-vent.jpg  
Old 09-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow looking great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.