Old 10-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Apprentice

Default bottom of slab won't be level

First things first, my build is an ugly wreck so far (and I haven't even started the dome), though I believe it will work out basic ally fine in the end. I'm about ready to pour the hearth slab, but due to too many mistakes to mention, I had a hard time levelling the bottom tray for the slab. (The top of the form is level). Does it matter if the bottom tray (and bottom of the slab) isn't level? I figure if the tray is way off level, the whole thing could collapse when the concrete gets poured, but I don't think it's nearly that bad. I used 6" wide boards for the legs, so it should be pretty darn stable. Any other concerns?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: bottom of slab won't be level

Jim, as long as you have the substructure solid and the form is tight, level at the top and won't shift during your pour, you'll be fine.. Make sure you have steel in the pour and that the steel ends up in the concrete. The concrete has compressive strength and the steel has the tension strength. Do your best to get the top of this pour as flat as possible to support your insulation and then your dome. A little more time to get it flat will save you time later.

You’ll be fine!

Chris
Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: bottom of slab won't be level

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCChris View Post
Jim, as long as you have the substructure solid and the form is tight, level at the top and won't shift during your pour, you'll be fine.. Make sure you have steel in the pour and that the steel ends up in the concrete. The concrete has compressive strength and the steel has the tension strength. Do your best to get the top of this pour as flat as possible to support your insulation and then your dome. A little more time to get it flat will save you time later.

You’ll be fine!

Chris
Ditto, Chris nailed it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.