Old 02-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Journeyman

Default Block Stand Confusion?

Ok guys so I'm still on the fence about building a 36" or a 42" oven. I started designing my block stand for a 36" just to see what it looks like and used FB's dimensions for the stand. Well I'm having an issue using standard 16"x8"x8" blocks and coming up with their dimensions? I've attached a photo of my drawing. I know you can cut the blocks but in most of the video's I've seen, I didn't notice people cutting them. Is it ok to make it larger so I don't have to cut any blocks?

Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Block Stand Confusion?

Yes - it is perfectly fine to make it bigger. In looking at your drawing - how will you enclose your oven? Is it an igloo? Or will it have an enclosure? I just don't see that accounted for in your drawing.

Make the base / stand whatever your comfortable with. I will tell you that I put a block wall midway under the base and have an entry from the front and the back. In my opinion (shared by some) - the standard base is sufficiently deep that you will rarely, if ever, reach all the way to the back. By splitting the storage in two and having access from front and back - I find it more useable.

Anyway - just one man's opinion . . .
Old 02-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Im sure they sell halves in the US, most of the masonry we use here originated from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yep, you can get 4"x8"x16" hollow core or solids almost anywhere...even big box stores have them.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 02-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

And also 8x8x8 halves. For something as simple as an oven stand, just design it on 8" modules, rounding up from what you think you need. It will work with standard CMU and modular brick
Old 02-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Journeyman

All great advice, I second the split storage under the hearth. I would have even liked it open on three sides. Front and the on each rear side, I am tall and could reach across, but my back reminds me of my age! If you are having an enclosure, then bigger is better so you can add more insulation. Read my post on the other thread for which size oven. Standard block is not the full measurements - I am obviously NOT a mason and didn't realize that the mortar joint makes up the difference in size. But if you dry stack like I did, then the dimensions will be a little short by the lack of mortar joints. (both horizontal and vertical) Go to a supply place and measure a "standard" block to be sure, and then sketch up a plan with those dimensions if you are dry stacking. Also note that if you are facing the block with brick they will not line up on a full course (those missing mortar joints add up) .
Looks like the blocks are hanging in mid air. I have two lintels under them in the middle of the blocks.
I also do not have the divider set yet.
This shows the divider.
Good Luck
John (guy without any masonry skills)

Photos:

Oven Blog:

Last edited by Aegis; 02-23-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used 4"x8"x16" (solids) for a similar reason. I needed more room for my stone veneer than the standard block allowed. So I used the smaller dimension block and everything worked out fine.

Block Stand Confusion?-edj-wfo3.jpg

Block Stand Confusion?-edj-wfo5.jpg

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I used 4"x8"x16" (solids) for a similar reason. I needed more room for my stone veneer than the standard block allowed. So I used the smaller dimension block and everything worked out fine.

Attachment 33900

Attachment 33901
Beautiful Oven! WOW what stone work!!!!!! That is a work of art, congrats and enjoy!

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 02-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Beautiful Oven! WOW what stone work!!!!!! That is a work of art, congrats and enjoy!
Thanks, but this was my first oven for a customer ( my best one ) 8 years ago...though I have gotten to enjoy it on occasion.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 AM
Journeyman

Ok, a lot of great advice and some things I didn't even think of !! Thanks.