#1  
Old 03-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 131
Default CURING STAGE :) Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor (Brick Pizza Oven)

Well I am starting my Thread with the Masters of Pizza Ovens that have completed ovens

I am a rookie and never built a oven but I am stepping in the mud....with my friend and Master Brick layer Serigo................

This is our First Outdoor Kitchen with a Modular Refractory Oven Installation

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...gon-11041.html (My Outdoor Kitchen in Bend, Oregon)


We have studied all of the greatest builders and came up with a few ideas of our own. I know we could do better but did not have enough money to fly all you great builders out to Bend, Oregon

We are going to try to make this structurely sound so it will not fall apart....I will explain some of my structurely items to all if asked

Here is my oven

29" floor
14" Dome Height
7.75" Door Height
18" Door Width

( I left some of my measurements at the warehouse, So I will fill them in and edit this post tomorrow)

We are using Fire brick
Mortar is 2 #30 silica sand 1 1/2 fire clay 1 portland cement 1 lime...Poor mans Mix

Floor is vermiculite 8 to 1

8" Chimney

We built it in a 42 by 50 inch frame made out of 3 x 3 inch angle iron with 3 in flat stock as supports under the oven.......
Attached Thumbnails
Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-p3131856.jpg   Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-p3131858.jpg   Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-p3131867.jpg   Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-p3161874.jpg   Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-p3161875.jpg  


Last edited by 100million; 03-31-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 131
Default Re: Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor

Well I just put in my Keystone in the top of the dome.

I am going to apply some 16 gauge chicken fencing to strengthen the dome and enclosure ( this should at like rebar to keep the cracking to a minimal and the brick seperating at the joints ) then I am going to put a skin coat just covering the 16 gauge wire.

What I want to know how long should i let it dry after this step before I start the first fire?

I will post more pictures tomorrow of what it looks like.

Any ideas is always nice to hear from the master builders.


Thanks

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-p3161877.jpg   Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-p3201887.jpg   Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-p3201893.jpg   Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-p3201899.jpg   Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-p3201902.jpg  


Last edited by 100million; 03-24-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 AM
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 192
Default Re: Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor

Not a master builder yet, I just finished digging my foundation. However, I was wondering why you did not include a reveal for a door? Do you plan on using your oven for pizza's only and not for any other baking?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-25-2010, 06:24 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 131
Default Re: Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor

Mr Gdest

I plan to use it for pizza only and if i was going to make bread or something i will make a door that slides in. But I only make pizza with it and if you look at my measurements you will see that the opening is not that tall

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-imag0157.jpg   Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-imag0159.jpg   Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-imag0160.jpg   Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-imag0164.jpg  

Last edited by 100million; 03-25-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 131
Default Re: Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor

Ok

Here is where I am at...

I have add more pictures for all to see

I have add the 16 gauge chicken fence to add structure to the oven
I am going to add a thin layer of Poormans high temp mortar to cover up the chicken wire
Then I am going to add 2 " of ceramic blanket then Alum wrap then chicken wire.
Then I am going to cover it with a stucco coat


Does anyone of the master builders or WFO freinds have any ideas?

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Master Builder
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington State USA
Posts: 768
Default Re: Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor

Chris,
Looks good! I have a question is there a reason you located the tension cable at the bottom of the soldier course? I would have thought it would have gone at the top. Your WFO is the first I have seen with such a tension cable although you are obviously aware that large domes (not WFOs) have such a tension device usually a chain. It will be interesting to see if there is any problems relating to differential expansion of the cable when it is heated.

Also it appears the entire WFO is constructed on a large plate of steel, is that correct? Looks like you have built the WFO so a forklift can easily transport the finished oven. Do you anticipate any issue with heat transfer thru the eyebolts?

I'm impressed with your construction. Your question regarding how long to wait before the first fire seems to be going unanswered. I would think that a search of the forum would yield something, I know it has been asked before.

Bests,
Wiley
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 131
Default Re: Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
Chris,
Looks good! I have a question is there a reason you located the tension cable at the bottom of the soldier course? I would have thought it would have gone at the top. Your WFO is the first I have seen with such a tension cable although you are obviously aware that large domes (not WFOs) have such a tension device usually a chain. It will be interesting to see if there is any problems relating to differential expansion of the cable when it is heated.
1. I made the cable system because....I am building the oven structural sound. This is becasue of portability. That is way I have a 16 gauge wire mesh acting as rebar. This is to help all the brick to not seperate.

2. I dont see a problem with heat transfered becasue metal expands when heated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
Also it appears the entire WFO is constructed on a large plate of steel, is that correct? Looks like you have built the WFO so a forklift can easily transport the finished oven. Do you anticipate any issue with heat transfer thru the eyebolts?
1. I dont see a problem on melting or heat transfer. Because when metal gets hot it expands
Most steel has other metals added to tune its properties, like strength, corrosion resistance, or ease of fabrication. Steel is just the element iron that has been processed to control the amount of carbon. Iron, out of the ground, melts at around 1510 degrees C (2750F). Steel often melts at around 1370 degrees C (2500F).
2. Yes it is made in my warehouse on pallets so my forklift can pick it up ( it is warm in side )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
I'm impressed with your construction. Your question regarding how long to wait before the first fire seems to be going unanswered. I would think that a search of the forum would yield something, I know it has been asked before.

Bests,
Wiley
If you have any other questions ...feel free to ask

If all goes well this will be the FIRST WFO of its kind

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 383
Default Re: Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor

Your oven is very similar to mine. I built a 30 inch, I've got a lower dome and a higher soldier course, but it is pretty similar. I also abutted my dome with stainless cable, but I did three wraps around top, middle, and bottom of the soldier course all anchored to a welded angle iron door frame. I haven't had any problem with the metal, the difference of expansion does not seem to be an issue nor does heat transfer. I also built my own so it can be picked up by a fork lift, although that will never happen. Why? Cause it is too small!!!! I love it and it serves it's purpose fine and cooks a mean pie, but I long for a much bigger oven, managing things in this one are just more of a pain then they need to be due to size. Hopefully the things that bother me don't bother you so your work on making it movable are not a waste.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 131
Default Re: Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuboyje View Post
Your oven is very similar to mine. I built a 30 inch, I've got a lower dome and a higher soldier course, but it is pretty similar. I also abutted my dome with stainless cable, but I did three wraps around top, middle, and bottom of the soldier course all anchored to a welded angle iron door frame. I haven't had any problem with the metal, the difference of expansion does not seem to be an issue nor does heat transfer. I also built my own so it can be picked up by a fork lift, although that will never happen. Why? Cause it is too small!!!! I love it and it serves it's purpose fine and cooks a mean pie, but I long for a much bigger oven, managing things in this one are just more of a pain then they need to be due to size. Hopefully the things that bother me don't bother you so your work on making it movable are not a waste.
Can you send some pictures of your project to completion?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 131
Default Re: Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor

Well

We are on to the next stage

I skim coated the wire mesh and let dry for 5 days.

I hooked up a propane burner to cure the Oven

We are going to follow the direction but do this with propane.

Day 1. Maintain a fire temperature of 300F throughout the
day and as long as possible into the evening. If you cannot
continually run a 300F for at least six hours, repeat step 1
for a second day before moving on to Day 2.
Day 2. Repeat at 350F.
Important Note. While it is difficult to maintain consistent,
low temperature fires, it is critical for proper curing that you
do not go above these temperatures during the first two
days, or a total of 16 hours.
Day 3. Repeat at 400F.
Day 4. Repeat at 450F.
Day 5. Repeat at 500F.
Close the oven door every evening to preserve dryness and
heat.

After Day 5 we are going to fill any cracks ( knock on wood ) then 2-3 inch of ceramic blankets, then alum foil then chicken wire and then recoat with about 1 inch or mortar then slick it with smooth stucco then waterproof it

IF anyone has any ideas I would love to hear from you

Thanks all for all the help so far

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-imag0165.jpg   Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-imag0166.jpg   Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-imag0168.jpg   Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-imag0169.jpg   Bend, Oregon USA 29" interior Floor-imag0170.jpg  

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oregon, sexy pizza ovens, wfo

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flatbread Community Oven - Bend Oregon Jed Brick Oven Restaurant Reviews 3 01-29-2014 05:05 PM
My Outdoor Kitchen in Bend, Oregon 100million Outdoor Kitchen Design 13 07-11-2011 09:29 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC