#1  
Old 06-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 106
Default Arched Dome Design Specs

How are folks creating the design for the arched dome. I am considering a 30 inch diameter oven to keep it on the smaller side. If I go with the High Vault of 19 inches, it looks like I need to keep my first row of bricks standinf on end and then I need to place another flat on top to get me to 11.5 inches before I start the dome part curing inwards.

What I dad on CAD was draw a line 15 inches wide (Line A). Place a line 4.5 inches on the left side of Line A called Line B. Place another line on right side of Line A 19 inches high called Line C. If I now draw a circle at the intersection of Line A and C with a radius of 19 inches. The circle never meets Line B. I need to extend Line B to 11.5 inches.

Hope this makes sense. I read somewhere in this forum a reference to DMUN and his approach but could not find it.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-24-2008, 01:59 PM
FIREANDFLAMES's Avatar
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: EDSON, ALBERTA, CANADA
Posts: 104
Default Re: Arched Dome Design Specs

I think this is what your talking about.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...ayout-171.html (36 inch pompeii cad layout)

Last edited by FIREANDFLAMES; 06-24-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: link
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-24-2008, 02:35 PM
dmun's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Jersey USA
Posts: 4,216
Default Re: Arched Dome Design Specs

The high dome is semi-circular in section. A 30 dome is 15 inches high. Is there really no room for a bigger dome? Every inch counts here, and 30 is near the too-small-to-cook-pizza size.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about my oven building approach, but you have to be a little more specific.
__________________
My geodesic oven project:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-24-2008, 02:45 PM
asudavew's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: san angelo, texas
Posts: 1,876
Default Re: Arched Dome Design Specs

Just draw a line on cardboard that is 30 inches wide.
Then draw a line (90 degree) from the center that is 19 inches tall.

Then lay your bricks out to form an arch on the cardboard.
Draw a new line outlining the inside of the layout.
Then cut out your pattern.
I would then retrace it to something more substantial then cardboard.

Dave
__________________
My thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Ken524's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,649
Default Re: Arched Dome Design Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
Just draw a line on cardboard that is 30 inches wide.
Then draw a line (90 degree) from the center that is 19 inches tall.

Then lay your bricks out to form an arch on the cardboard.
Draw a new line outlining the inside of the layout.
Then cut out your pattern.
I would then retrace it to something more substantial then cardboard.
Dave,

No CAD software? No spreadsheets? No calculator? No complex calculations on scratch paper?? Your method can't possibly work!

Of course, it's brilliant.
__________________
Ken H. - Kentucky
42" Pompeii


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 106
Default Re: Arched Dome Design Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
The high dome is semi-circular in section. A 30 dome is 15 inches high. Is there really no room for a bigger dome? Every inch counts here, and 30 is near the too-small-to-cook-pizza size.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about my oven building approach, but you have to be a little more specific.
The base is 30" since I want to make it small. Many on this forum state that they have ovens even small than 30". But I was thinking of still going with the 19" high vault.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-24-2008, 11:21 PM
dvonk's Avatar
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow
Posts: 101
Default Re: Arched Dome Design Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdibratt View Post
Many on this forum state that they have ovens even small than 30".
Well... I used small Weber BBQ, 14.5 inch Smokey Joe for a long time (pretty long - for about 11 or 12 years), and I was almost happy with it, despite the small size I was able to cook the whole duckling or a lot of kebabs and blah-blah-blah. Size was restrictive in many cases, but I was tricky enough to manage how to overcome that.
This spring I've bought (by haphazard, just because it has a tall legs to cook in a comfort) 19" Swedish Dancook grill and I've found that those extra 5" gave me so much possibilities in a small details, that I really was not able to imagine (I've used a lot of times the big BBQs but not so smart engineered - and it were disappointing) - it's another level of cooking comfort and technical capabilities. I can cook not one chicken but two small at a time, I can smoke 1.2 kg whole fish with real indirect heat, I can roast pretty thick piece of roastbeef with a lead totally closed, and so on.

I guess that many of the 30-" oven owners would like to change they ovens for 43" if they have a chance to compare it in a practice. The only reason to make it small is a form factor - if you totally have no place for bigger one.

Last edited by dvonk; 06-24-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-25-2008, 06:22 AM
70chevelle's Avatar
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 125
Default Re: Arched Dome Design Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdibratt View Post
How are folks creating the design for the arched dome. I am considering a 30 inch diameter oven to keep it on the smaller side. If I go with the High Vault of 19 inches, it looks like I need to keep my first row of bricks standinf on end and then I need to place another flat on top to get me to 11.5 inches before I start the dome part curing inwards.

What I dad on CAD was draw a line 15 inches wide (Line A). Place a line 4.5 inches on the left side of Line A called Line B. Place another line on right side of Line A 19 inches high called Line C. If I now draw a circle at the intersection of Line A and C with a radius of 19 inches. The circle never meets Line B. I need to extend Line B to 11.5 inches.

Hope this makes sense. I read somewhere in this forum a reference to DMUN and his approach but could not find it.

Thanks for any help.
tdibratt - I'm about to start the same journey. I have my hearth complete and am expecting my FB board and blanket insulation tomorrow. My oven is going to be 30" also. I've been told, repetitively, it's too small, but there's no turning back now. I'm hoping to have mine done within the next 2 weeks, and giving feedback that it's the perfect size, for me! We'll see. My situation and space limited the size of my base.

I currently cook my outdoor pizza's (one at a time) on an Big Green Egg (ceramic cooker) over lump charcoal. They are fantastic. I don't see myself firing up the oven every week, but for get togethers with friends & family. I do like the idea of baking breads & roasting meats overnite with the residual heat. It's going to be a fun journey, enjoy it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-25-2008, 06:44 AM
dmun's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Jersey USA
Posts: 4,216
Default Re: Arched Dome Design Specs

Quote:
But I was thinking of still going with the 19" high vault.
There are arguments for a tall skinny oven. One is that it is closer to the structurally ideal catenary arch. The problems are two: one is that heat for cooking radiates down from the dome, and such a high dome may be too tall for pizza to cook on top, or to keep your fire recharging the heat on your floor. The second problem is that for your door to be the recommended two thirds the height of the dome, it will be so large that a lot of heat will leak out of your oven, and keeping that small an oven hot is a challenge under the best of conditions.

I have a semi-circular dome, and I often have to "sky" pizzas to get top browning. It is the ideal shape for retained heat baking, but pizza fanatics try for a lower dome in the Naples fashion to get the ideal balance of top and bottom browning.
__________________
My geodesic oven project:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steel Dome Oven Wiley Other Oven Types 195 01-14-2014 11:06 PM
A Potential New Low Dome Design james Pompeii Oven Construction 17 08-14-2008 12:44 PM
Barrell vs Dome Design marksnow Newbie Forum 22 05-22-2007 04:12 PM
"Half-Pipe" versus Dome design for Oven? vincentvintris Getting Started 10 04-11-2007 08:07 AM
Solid model of Pompeii design Alan Pompeii Oven Construction 8 08-10-2005 08:14 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC