Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Serf

Default Adding a reveal

I don't have a reveal for my oven and now see the benefit and advantage of one. I have thought about bending a steel bar to form against the arch then drilling holes and screwing it onto the bricks. Another idea is to cut bricks and mortar it on but not sure how secure that would be. TIA for suggestions.

I can't figure out how to post pictures on web forums from my iPad, otherwise I'd have some pictures to share.

Nate
Old 09-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Adding a reveal

You should probablly figure out how to post pics. You know the old saying about a thousand words.

The way I do it is to simply upload the pics to an image hosting site on the web. (I use imageshack.) It's free. You go to the web page. Register (about like you register on Forno Bravo). Then you simply upload the photos there. Then, you copy and paste the "embed code" and paste it into your post. It takes about thirty seconds to upload five pics and copy them here.

For example:

Old 09-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Serf

Lets give this a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a reveal-photovbi.jpg   Adding a reveal-photo1wtu.jpg  
Old 09-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nate - what did it take to load the pic. You did this with your Ipad, correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Serf

Yes I did. I signed up for an imageshack account, but found out that I had to go through a process of "registering" the ipad. I don't have the ID for the iPad to get the app that allows me to access imageshack on the ipad. So I sent the pictures to a friend who uploaded them to imageshack and sent me the link.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Journeyman

Looks good.

Is the point of the reveal just allow something to seat a door against?

If so, couldn't you just use a hi-temp epoxy and glue a length of ceramic fiber rope around the perimeter of the entry. It might require a "re-glue" every year or two, but it would be a heck of a lot easier and cleaner than adding a masonry reveal.

JMO

Bill
Old 09-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Master Builder

I have the same issue. I don't think the masonry approach will last. Bending a 1.5" piece of angle iron is the way to go.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJW View Post
Looks good.

Is the point of the reveal just allow something to seat a door against?

If so, couldn't you just use a hi-temp epoxy and glue a length of ceramic fiber rope around the perimeter of the entry. It might require a "re-glue" every year or two, but it would be a heck of a lot easier and cleaner than adding a masonry reveal.

JMO

Bill
Hi Bill,

I had the same idea, so I started researching oven gaskets and contacted Rutland (a manufacturer of gaskets and other high temp products). After explaining the use for their rope, their rep quickly interjected that their gaskets are not food safe, and she did not know of a substitute product that is food safe.

Are the ceramic fiber ropes food safe? Anyone know of any product that Is?

Thanks,
Nate
Old 09-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood View Post
I have the same issue. I don't think the masonry approach will last. Bending a 1.5" piece of angle iron is the way to go.
Have you done this? I think that would be a great solution. I just need to find a rounded angle iron.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Journeyman

I honestly didn't consider the "food safe" angle.

That being said, my understanding of the issues presented by ceramic fiber generally have to do with inhalation hazards. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't encapsulate the rope with some high-temp silicone or something similar. I also have to question the degree to which those ropes would shed harmful fibers in that application.

Finally, I'd be surprised if there weren't "bio-soluable" ceramic fiber ropes available.

Bill