Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Serf

Default 40" Indoor Pompeii in NNY

Hmm well time flies.. I joined early 2009 and finally started building last October. oh so many projects and never enough time. I tend to also be a perfectionist so am not known for my rapidity in completing things..

We redid the kitchen and planned all along to have a WFO in the corner. There is a 21' tall block chimney outside to vent the oven. I finally had the chimney lined with insulated SS and the through wall thimble installed so all set for connection when the time comes.

In the floor there is a steel I beam spanning the center of the room and under the area where the oven is going in the corner, there are 3 - 2"x8" tall laminated beams spanning between the I beam and the concrete block outside wall.

About time I started a build thread and posted some photos!

Here is the location. I had to put some leveler down over the plywood floor.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
40" Indoor Pompeii in NNY-img_6561.jpg  
Old 05-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Serf

Default Re: 40" Indoor Pompeii in NNY

For the oven base I built an oak frame with 1.5" 1/8" steel angle iron reinforcing across the top. A few shots of the oak framework. The corner is a bit skewed as one side across the back left is longer than the right.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
40" Indoor Pompeii in NNY-img_6701.jpg   40" Indoor Pompeii in NNY-img_6702.jpg   40" Indoor Pompeii in NNY-img_6703.jpg  
Old 05-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Apprentice

This is crazy ambitious....I like it. I will be waiting for more pics. good luck.

I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food...
WC Fields

Link to my build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyp View Post
For the oven base I built an oak frame with 1.5" 1/8" steel angle iron reinforcing across the top. A few shots of the oak framework. The corner is a bit skewed as one side across the back left is longer than the right.

Tony
It is always a bit hard to tell from photos, but at first look I'd be thinking that you are asking a lot from that timber frame to support a heavy 4" concrete supporting slab, as well as a heavy masonry oven sitting on top of it.
Have you calculated how much weight needs to be supported?
Have you got someone with building knowledge look it over?
What size oven are you planning to build?
Old 05-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Serf

Thanks for the comments!

David - I appreciate your concern. I have calculated the following and am confident it will hold. There is more to add to the frame yet to strengthen it. What you see in the photo is just the framing. The oak is 1x4 (which is really 3/4 x 3.5"). It's only 18" tall between the bottom and the top horizontal pieces. The upright pieces are spaced about 18" apart. I am using half bricks for the dome so 4.5" thick and 40" interior diameter. That spreads the dome weight over approximately 118" of length. The dome will be fairly close to the edge of the frame so the center will be supporting primarily the floor. I weighed a few of the half bricks and they are approximately 3.75 lbs each. The lower courses are 28 bricks if you include the arch bricks at each end. I have 3 courses laid horizontally and plan on one more with the tops tapered inward to start the dome enclosing. That will give me a vertical wall about 4.25" above the top of the floor before the dome starts to lean inward. The first 4 courses at 28 bricks each and 3.75 lbs works out to 112 bricks and 420 lbs. Not sure what it will take to finish the dome but is it safe to estimate 250-300 total? If we use the 300 count then that would be 1125 lbs plus the mortar etc so maybe 100 lbs there. Plus the ceramic insulation, floor bricks etc... figure maybe 2000 lbs spread over 118" is roughly 17 lbs/inch. Below are some more photos showing the 3/4" plywood floor and the 3/4" plywood sandwiched between the lower and upper oak horizontal frame pieces and secured to the vertical uprights. These will add a lot of strength between the vertical pieces to support the weight horizontally.

Regarding the support across the top. I am using a steel frame with a plywood sheet over it. The ceramic board will lay on top of that. Photo below you can see the 3/4 ply installed and the start of the steel frame.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
40" Indoor Pompeii in NNY-img_6778.jpg  
Old 05-25-2014, 04:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would like to add my concerns also, along with David's. That is, even after your explaination. Sorry, I am in to building standards that will out last me .

just sayin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Serf

More photos of the steel frame (1.5" x 1/8" angle iron). On the underside of the frame is 1/2" ply to make the inside of the cabinet finished looking. I also have a pull out wood storage drawer installed. The drawer is 40" long and 18" wide (exterior dimensions) made with the 3/4" ply. There are some cross supports under the floor of the drawer to help support the plywood from sagging from the weight of the wood. The drawer is secured to those full extension 500 lb drawer slides.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
40" Indoor Pompeii in NNY-img_6779.jpg   40" Indoor Pompeii in NNY-img_6809.jpg   40" Indoor Pompeii in NNY-img_6808.jpg  
Old 05-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Serf

No worries Gulf! The compression strength of kiln dried red oak parallel to the grain is about 7000 lb/sq in. This gives a compression strength perpendicular to the grain of around 1200 lb/sq in, which is well above my estimated 17 lbs/in of downward force the dome, floor insulation etc. will be exerting on the horizontal oak members. I have no concerns of finding it collapsed one day.

Tony
Old 05-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tony,
You are probably golden. I am used to all masonry construction. I like the drawer. Though, I am still waiting for someone with a corner build to incorporate a "lazy susan" to take full advantage of all that room under there .

Joe

Last edited by Gulf; 05-25-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:44 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Tony,
You are probably golden. I am used to all masonry construction. I like the drawer. Though, I am still waiting for someone with a corner build to incorporate a "lazy susan" to take full advantage of all that room under there .

Joe
That sounds like a challenge to those designing their ovens. And a worthy challenge at that!

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics